How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Injury Claim?

Hammack Law Firm | Personal Injury Lawyer Greenville SCAlthough you generally have three years to file a personal-injury lawsuit, you should take action as soon as possible. Over time, evidence disappears and witnesses relocate or change their contact information. Memories fade and it becomes more difficult to prove your case.  In fact, one of the biggest defenses raised by insurance companies is that the injured party waited too long to seek treatment or bring a claim.

Anxiety, depression, shock – these are just a few emotions that accompany a serious car wreck. In addition to the emotional distress, accident victims often face financial hardship due to medical bills and lost income. Please understand that you must seek treatment for injuries immediately so you can document your complaints and injuries.  Otherwise the insurance company will say that you are making it all up and lying to build up a claim.

Also, do not give a recorded statement to any insurer following your accident.  Feel free to discuss the facts of the collision in an unrecorded interview to get your car fixed, but there is no reason to give a recorded statement to the at-fault party’s insurer.  If your own insurer calls you just tell them that you are happy to give an interview but you do not want it recorded.  Anything you say will be twisted later to be used against you.

Every driver should know how to protect their interests after a crash. A small mistake could cause the insurance company to deny your claim or prevent you from recovering fair compensation.

One of the most common errors is waiting too long to take legal action. Every state has a statute of limitations on personal injury claims, and victims must take legal action before the statute of limitations expires. In South Carolina, the statute of limitations of most car accident injury claims expires three years after the date of the crash. This timeframe reduces to two years if you make a claim against a government agency under the Tort Claims Act.

If you were injured by a negligent driver in South Carolina, turn to Hammack Law Firm. As your personal-injury lawyer in Greenville, Paul Hammack will fight for the maximum compensation on your behalf. He will help you avoid mistakes such as overlooking certain damages, accepting a low settlement, making recorded statements to insurance adjusters, or unknowingly admitting fault to the insurance company.

Call 864-326-3333 today to schedule a free initial consultation.

What Should I Do after a Car Accident in South Carolina?

Every collision is a nerve-racking experience, but it is critical that you remain calm. Your statements and actions in the immediate aftermath will influence the success of your claim.

Here are six tips to protect your interests after a wreck:

  1. Call the police;
  2. Gather contact details from witnesses;
  3. Record the contact details and insurance information of all drivers involved;
  4. Take photos that show the positions of vehicles, traffic signs, intersections, injuries, skid marks and property damage;
  5. Visit your doctor – even if you do not feel seriously injured; and
  6. Contact a personal-injury lawyer.

If you were injured by a drunk, distracted or otherwise negligent driver, contact Hammack Law Firm. Paul Hammack is a Greenville auto accident attorney who will evaluate your case to determine if you have grounds for a claim.

You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost income and non-economic damages. Call 864-326-3333 today to schedule a free consultation.

Paul Hammack has over 16 years’ experience as a trial attorney. He worked for insurance companies for 15 of those years so he has the knowledge and experience to get the most out of your workers’ compensation or personal injury claim. Unlike most big box firms, Paul is not afraid of taking a case to trial, and he does not run at the first sign of trouble. If you are hurt on the job or by someone else’s negligence we want to help. Better call Paul!

by | Oct 19, 2016 | Accidents, Articles |

Injured? You Have a Case with Us!

Pin It on Pinterest