Greenville SC Workers Compensation Lawyer and Attorney
If you’ve been injured on the job in Greenville, South Carolina, you may be entitled to receive money to cover your medical care, rehabilitation expenses, lost wages, and retraining. South Carolina’s worker’s compensation laws are designed to protect both employees and employers when accidents happen. However, employees aren’t always aware of their rights. If you or a loved one was injured or killed on the job, and you are having difficulty making a worker’s compensation claim in Greenville, South Carolina, a worker’s compensation attorney may be able to assist you. Hammack Law Firm is committed to standing beside working families and protecting their rights.
Your Rights if You’ve Been Injured on the Job
If you’ve been injured on the job, you are entitled to certain protections under South Carolina’s workers compensation laws. According to the South Carolina Bar, workers are entitled to make a claim for medical expenses, money for lost time on the job, and, in some cases, disability benefits. If you’ve been hurt while at work, your first step should be to inform your employer immediately. Under South Carolina law, your employer has the right to select which doctor you use to treat on the job injuries and illness. Yet, in the event of an emergency, you can seek medical treatment without your employer’s permission. However, in other cases, you must let your employer know. If your claim is being denied, or if your employer is denying you your worker’s compensation benefits, you have the right to seek the assistance of an attorney to protect your rights.
Hammack Law Firm will file appropriate forms and take steps to protect you. We can speak to insurers, your employer, and help you receive the money you may deserve. The Workers Compensation Commission will then review your case if your employer’s worker’s compensation insurance continues to deny your claim. You have the right to appeal any decisions made, even the initial decision made by the Worker’s Compensation Commission. However, you may only have a limited amount of time to appeal any decisions and to file your initial claim. If you are facing difficulties with your claim, contact the Greenville, South Carolina worker’s compensation lawyers at the Hammack Law Firm today.
How Can I File a Worker’s Compensation Claim?
The aftermath of an accident can be confusing and challenging for everyone involved. Families sometimes struggle to pay the bills, especially if an injury leads to missed time at work. If you’ve been injured on the job in South Carolina, there are some steps every worker should take. While every case is unique, you should always:
- Tell your employer you’ve been injured. Failing to let your employer know you’ve been hurt can result in the denial of your claim. Generally, you have 90 days to report an injury, but you should report an accident as soon as it takes place.
- In most cases, your employer will file a worker’s compensation claim with his or her insurance. However, if your employer refuses to report your accident, denies that you have been hurt, or if you feel you deserve more benefits, you have a right to file a worker’s compensation claim.
- If your employer doesn’t file a claim on your behalf, you can file Form 50 or Form 52 yourself or through your attorney.
- Seek treatment from the doctor your employer chooses. Your employer has the right to select which doctors you use to treat workplace injuries.
- Follow all doctor’s instructions. If your doctor tells you that your are okay to work, you must return to work.
- Document all conversations with your employer and doctors and keep all medical records.
In many cases, worker’s compensation cases can be settled out of court and without the assistance of a lawyer. However, if your employer is denying that you have a claim, refusing to make a claim on your behalf, or does not have proper worker’s compensation insurance, you may face unique challenges that may require the assistance of a workers compensation attorney in Greenville, South Carolina. Hammack Law Firm prides itself on offering quality counsel to working families. If you have questions about your workers compensation claim, contact us today for a free, initial consultation.
Protecting Worker’s Rights in Greenville, South Carolina
The Hammack Law Firm is dedicated to offering workers and their families quality representation for their workers compensation claims both inside and outside of court. Our firm understands the unique challenges faced by workers when making claims. For instance, some employers illegally fail to carry proper worker’s compensation insurance. In other cases, employers illegally retaliate against workers who try to make a claim. If you’ve been injured on the job and are facing any difficulties with your claim, contact the Hammack Law Firm today. We can help.
Se habla Español!