Whether you should hire a car accident lawyer for a minor accident will depend on the specific circumstances of your case. However, if you are considering working with an attorney after a minor car accident, it may be helpful to know that even these cases can benefit from legal guidance.
The more complex a case is, the more involved a case might become. The extent of your damages, the injuries you sustained, and who might be a liable party in the accident are all factors that could change the nature of the case. Weighing these factors can help you determine whether you should hire a car accident lawyer after a minor accident, in that you may want legal assistance to cover aspects of your case you might not want to handle on your own.
How to Determine if You Should Hire a Lawyer After an Accident
While there is no one-size-fits-all action plan, as each accident is unique, some accidents are managed better with an attorney’s assistance. With insurance companies getting tighter with settlement dollars, you may find that hiring an attorney gives you leverage. If you were injured in a minor accident caused by someone else, it may be helpful to discuss your case with a legal professional to determine if you do have grounds to file a personal injury claim.
Furthermore, even if your accident was minor, injuries may still have occurred. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about three million people are injured in car accidents every year. Our attorneys will be able to provide guidance regarding your accident and injuries and, if necessary, work with you to pursue compensation on your behalf.
You may want legal assistance after a minor car accident if:
- You have injuries that are serious or require long-term medical treatment
- There is a dispute over which driver is at fault for the accident
- It will be necessary to take the other driver to court
- There is a disagreement on what constitutes fair compensation
- You are unsure about handling the claim on your own, whether due to stress or time constraints
For a free legal consultation, call 864-326-3333
How a Lawyer May Be Able to Help After an Accident
After a car accident, a lawyer may be able to assist you in a variety of ways. If you are unsure whether it is necessary to hire a lawyer, here are some points to consider:
- They can represent your legal interests: A lawyer can help ensure you are compensated for your losses, and they will fight for compensation on your behalf. Their aim will be to build a solid case that demonstrates your injuries, lost wages, and other damages as they negotiate a settlement.
- They can help you prove negligence: An attorney will work to hold the responsible parties accountable for their actions and negligence. They may focus on how the at-fault party had a duty of care toward you, yet their negligence led to the accident that caused you financial damages.
- They can manage the legal aspects of your case: In many instances, people are unsure about pursuing a claim for compensation because they do not think they have the time to handle a case on their own. When you hire a lawyer, you gain the assistance of their legal teams, who help them manage the fine details involved. This has the potential to save you a great deal of time.
- They can manage communications with the insurance companies: Your lawyer can save you from the stress of dealing with insurance representatives. Insurance companies may attempt to encourage you to settle for a low offer. An attorney can advocate on your behalf and negotiate a settlement that covers your damages.
Personal Injury Claims Must Be Filed by the Statutory Deadline
According to S.C. Ann. § 15-3-530, the statute of limitations period in South Carolina is three years after an accident occurs for most car accidents. This means you have just three years to file a lawsuit for personal injury.
As a result, if you have been in a car accident, even if it was minor, and you think you might want to file a lawsuit in the future, you should be aware of this deadline. Between your recovery and navigating the claims process, it may be easy to lose track of time. Losing your ability to pursue the compensation you need would be unfortunate, so be sure to keep the statute of limitations in mind.
Call Hammack Law Firm to Help You with Your Case
Whether you should hire a car accident lawyer for a minor accident may depend on how involved you want to be with your case. A lawyer may be able to provide insight into your case and help determine if you can pursue a personal injury claim. They can also relieve you of legal duties and represent you on your behalf so that you can focus on your recovery.
To learn more about your options, contact the offices of Hammack Law Firm at 864-326-3333 today to speak to a legal professional. If you work with us, we will work hard to make sure your rights are protected as we pursue compensation on your behalf. Our mission is to foster personal relationships with our clients to make South Carolina a safer place for everyone.
Our Client Bill of Rights offers a 30-day unconditional satisfaction guarantee —no costs and no fees. We serve our Greenville clients in all areas of personal injury, including auto and motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, and boating accidents.
To get started with our Greenville personal injury law firm, please simply contact us online or call 864-326-3333 for a free consultation.