If you’ve been injured on the job, the days and weeks following an injury can be challenging and stressful. You may struggle to understand your rights or face unwarranted pushback from your employer when you file a workers’ compensation claim. In some instances, employers may even deny that an injured worker has the right to make a claim.
A Spartanburg workers’ compensation attorney from Hammack Law Firm can assist you in navigating these challenges to help you receive the compensation you deserve under the law. Our firm can review your case, file an appeal, and determine if there are other parties involved who may be responsible for covering your losses. Our free, no-obligation consultations are available 24/7.
Spartanburg Workers’ Compensation FAQ
You have rights under the law in Spartanburg, South Carolina. A workers’ compensation attorney from our firm can help you understand your rights and responsibilities and answer questions you may have. Some of the most common questions we get include:
How Can a Lawyer Help with My Workers’ Compensation Case?
There are several ways an attorney can help if you or your loved one suffered an injury at work. For example, if your claim has been unfairly denied or you feel your benefits do not cover all your medical and rehabilitation needs, you may want to consider seeking legal help.
Our team at Hammack Law Firm can assist you by:
- Reviewing the facts of your case
- Gathering required documentation
- Verifying that your application is complete and checking for any inaccuracies
- Filing all appropriate paperwork within the allotted time
- Reviewing your application after a denial
- Preparing your case for appeal
- Examining whether you may be eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit
What Are My Rights When a Workplace Injury Happens?
Most companies in Spartanburg, South Carolina must carry workers’ compensation insurance. If you suffer an injury on the job, your employer’s insurance should cover you regardless of whether the injury was your fault. Many employees in South Carolina are entitled to receive injury benefits to cover their:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Lost wages
- Future lost income
However, some companies are exempt from workers’ compensation insurance requirements. The South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission (WCC) explains that only companies with at least four employees require this coverage, including part-time and family employees. Certain industries may be exempt as well.
Can I File a Lawsuit for My Injuries?
In general, you cannot sue your employer for workplace injuries. However, your injuries may have been the result of third-party negligence. For example, this can occur if you were driving on the job and got into an accident with a negligent driver. On a construction site, your injuries may have happened due to the actions of another company or its employees.
In cases like these, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against the liable parties in Spartanburg. A workers’ compensation lawyer from our firm can review your case to help you understand your options and even handle the legal process for you. Note that S.C. Ann § 15-3-530 generally allows you only three years to initiate this process.
How Long Do I Have to File for Workers’ Compensation Coverage?
Individuals injured on the job should report their injuries to their manager or employer as soon as possible. Failing to report your injuries within 90 days could result in the forfeiture of your benefits. However, it is important to distinguish between the time frame you have to report your injuries to your employer and the time frame for filing a claim.
You generally have up to two years to file a claim for a work-related injury in South Carolina. This gives you ample time to seek the assistance of a workers’ compensation attorney in Spartanburg. Our team is ready to go to work for you.
What Should I Do if My Employer Doesn’t File a Claim on My Behalf?
Your employer may try to find ways to reduce the amount of money they must pay in benefits or may even deny your right to coverage completely. If your employer has refused to file a claim, you can file one with the WCC yourself.
Legally, most employees in South Carolina are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. Employers are not allowed to fire an employee for asserting a work injury. If your employer denies that you were injured on the job or threatens to fire you, or if you are facing other difficulties with your claim, our team at Hammack Law Firm can help you.
How Long Do Workers’ Compensation Benefits Last?
Every state determines the amount of money a person can recover and how long benefit payments last based on the following:
- Injury location
- Number of injuries
- Length of recovery
- Degree of disability after treatment
The timeframe for recovery can vary widely depending on the injuries you sustained on the job. An attorney from our team can help you understand the amount of workers’ compensation benefits you may be entitled to receive.
If you feel like your injury was classified improperly or believe you may deserve more benefits, it’s crucial to protect yourself. Our lawyers at Hammack Law Firm are ready to advocate for you through a workers’ compensation hearing.
When Should I Seek a Workers’ Compensation Hearing?
You have a right to request a hearing if you disagree with your claim’s denial, the nature or extent of the treatment recommended, or the level of benefits you receive. A hearing may also be necessary if the appointed doctor clears you to go back to work before your recovery is complete.
In most cases, it is wise to file your claim through an attorney rather than requesting a hearing on your own. We can review your case and help you plan the wisest course of action forward.
For a free legal consultation with a workers’ Сompensation lawyer serving Spartanburg, call 864-740-8653
Compelling Reasons to Accept Our Firm’s Help
Hiring an attorney is not always the obvious decision. Once you consider the benefits of hiring a lawyer versus the downsides of handling your workers’ compensation claim alone, the decision may become clearer.
Risks of Handling Your Workers’ Compensation Claim on Your Own
Some victims of workplace injuries may be capable of handling a claim independently. However, even if you could handle your claim alone, doing so may come with significant drawbacks.
When you choose to handle a workers’ compensation claim without a lawyer’s help, you:
- Expose yourself to rights violations by your employer, insurers, and other parties who don’t have your interests in mind
- Commit to spending the time, energy, and effort necessary to complete a claim and all claim-related responsibilities
- Expose yourself to stress and a possible worsening of your injury due to that stress
- Must take time away from your recovery to focus on your claim
- May put forth countless hours and significant effort without achieving a positive result
When you hire our firm, we take on much of the risk of your claim. Rather than you spending the time drafting and filing your claim, we do it for you. We manage the stress of your case, so you don’t have to.
What You Get When You Hire Hammack Law Firm
When you hire Hammack Law Firm, you’re not just hiring any personal injury firm. With our firm, you get:
- A firm with an unparalleled reputation for customer service
- Direct access to your attorney
- Speedy responses to your emails, phone calls, and text messages
- A law firm that treats you like family
- Access to our firm’s resources, which include paralegals, attorneys, experts, and investigators
When you hire Hammack Law Firm, you get more than a lawyer. You get a qualified team that will fight tirelessly on behalf of your workers’ compensation claim.
Those Who Matters Most, Our Clients, Praise Our Team
Client testimonials carry great weight with Hammack Law Firm. Positive reviews from clients tell us how we are doing. Therefore, we take great pride when former clients speak highly of our team:
- “Absolutely a great group of people to work with. I don’t think I could have chosen a better firm to handle my case. Everyone is friendly and informative. If I ever have any more legal issues I will be going back!” – Courtney Brown, former client
- “Mr. Paul and his team have been great to work with. They make you feel like you’re a part of the family. I can honestly say that they care about you and your wellbeing and getting your case settled. Thank you guys for everything that you did for me!” – Tiffany McGill, former client
- “I have never met a law firm that genuinely cared for their clients [until now]. Very warm and welcoming atmosphere. My family and I were always treated like family. Paul [Hammack] and his team helped me get what I deserved and they did not stop until they did. Words cannot express my gratitude for all your hard work and dedication.” – Monica Opdyke, former client
Look no further for legal help. Let us lead your workers’ compensation claim with our trademark tenacity and client service.
We Get Results
You have the right to receive full benefits for your injury. If your claim has been denied or you have not received the medical treatment or recovery you believe you deserve to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and rehabilitation expenses, our attorneys are here to help you navigate your recovery options in Spartanburg, South Carolina.
Our team has been able to recover settlements for our clients in the following amounts:
- $365,000 for a spinal injury in a landscaping accident
- $240,000 for a work-related rear-end collision
- $230,000 for a traumatic brain injury
Spartanburg Workers’ Сompensation Lawyer Near Me 864-740-8653
Reach Out for a Complimentary Case Review
Don’t be intimidated or give up your rights. Whether you qualify for workers’ compensation, a personal injury case, or both, you have a limited time to seek the compensation you deserve. To discuss your options, contact us online or call (864) 326-3333 for a free consultation.