If you or someone you love was injured in a jackknife accident, a lawyer from our firm can help you get the compensation you deserve. The South Carolina legal system may be easier to navigate if you have one of our attorneys on your side.
Compensation after a collision can take a significant weight off your shoulders, enabling you to support your family and get the medical care you need. Seeking compensation is also a way of holding the liable party responsible for their negligence.
You Have Three Years to Seek Damages
You have the right to seek damages after a truck accident, but only for a limited time. As stated at S.C. Ann § 15-3-530, accident victims have three years to begin a lawsuit before their ability to do so expires. This deadline – called the statute of limitations – makes it imperative that you start your case as soon as possible.
If you start too late, you could lose your right to damages such as:
- Reduced quality of life: You have lost your independence or your ability to engage in activities you enjoy.
- Pain and suffering: The injuries caused or continue to cause you physical or emotional distress that interferes with your daily life.
- Disability: This can refer to various types of disability: temporary or permanent, physical or intellectual, partial or total.
- Loss of consortium: Your relationship with your spouse has suffered since (and because of) the accident.
- Loss of income or benefits: You could not work and earn a paycheck while your injuries healed.
- Loss of earning capacity: The injuries have permanently affected your ability to earn a living. You must learn to support yourself and your family on less than before.
- Repair bills: The truck accident damaged your car, forcing you to get it fixed, buy a new one, or turn to other forms of transportation.
- Medical bills: You were compelled to seek professional care for your injuries, or you will need medical care in the future.
You could qualify for additional damages if you lost a loved one in a jackknife accident. Hammack Law Firm can help you determine what to sue for in both personal injury and wrongful death cases.
For a free legal consultation with a jackknife accidents lawyer serving South Carolina, call 864-326-3333
We Can Help with Your Jackknife Accident Case
Jackknife accidents are frightening, often life-changing events. A truck accident lawyer from our team at Hammack Law Firm would be happy to assume responsibility for your case. This way, we can help you seek the money you need while making South Carolina safer for all drivers.
First and foremost, we always prioritize our clients’ needs by:
- Providing free consultations: Everyone who calls in gets a free case review – no strings attached.
- Answering all questions: We know the law can be complicated. Feel free to ask every question you have, no matter how trivial it may seem.
- Updating them regularly: We keep clients in the loop so that they do not have to worry about what is going on with their cases.
- Helping them make legal decisions: If you are ever unsure about the next steps, talk to us. We can guide you through each option’s pros and cons until you can confidently decide.
- Charging nothing up front: You only pay attorney’s fees once you recover compensation. If we cannot recover compensation for you, we do not charge attorney’s fees.
Our Team Takes Care of Your Case from Start to Finish
We also handle all of the legal work and necessary communications with the liable party, which include:
- Gathering evidence: This could include materials such as police reports, surveillance footage, medical records, witness statements, and more.
- Calculating compensation: This way, you know how much money to ask for, and the insurance company cannot trick you into accepting less than your case is worth.
- Managing all paperwork: You do not have to worry about sending or responding directly to notifications, settlement offers, evidence, court motions, and so on.
- Communicating with others: If you do not want to speak or meet with the liable party, you do not have to.
- Negotiating on your behalf: During this critical step, we can represent you at meetings with the insurance company and fight hard for the money you know you
- Advocating for you in court: Sometimes, the insurance company will not negotiate in good faith. In such cases, we can prepare and present your case at trial.
Hiring a lawyer from our firm could make the legal process smoother and easier for you and your family. With us around to handle all of the hard work, you give yourself the time you need to recover physically and mentally from the jackknife accident.
South Carolina Jackknife Accident Lawyer Near Me 864-326-3333
Determining Liability for Jackknife Accidents
Driving a commercial vehicle is a big responsibility. As such, per the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (SCDMV), prospective drivers must meet high standards and conform to behavioral expectations to obtain and keep a commercial license. Major mistakes, such as causing an accident, can cost a driver their license. They should be held accountable for irresponsible behavior, such as:
- Driving under the influence (DUI)
- Driving while distracted
- Ignoring traffic signs or stop lights
With that said, not all jackknife accidents are solely the driver’s fault. If you already know who the liable party is in your case, we can start building a case against them. If not, we can find out by collecting evidence against parties, such as:
- The truck driver
- Other drivers
- The trucking company
- The company’s maintenance contractor
- The maintenance contractor who is supposed to keep the roadway safe
- The party responsible for inspecting the trucks for safety hazards
- A combination of the above
At Hammack Law Firm, we believe accident victims deserve the chance to recover in peace, while careless individuals who cause accidents should be held to account. We can do both by taking full responsibility for your lawsuit and fighting hard for an appropriate settlement.
Call Hammack Law Firm Today
Our team at Hammack Law Firm wants to make South Carolina a safer place by holding all reckless drivers accountable for their actions. After a jackknife accident, seek medical help, then call us at