Being in a car accident is bad enough. When that accident is caused by a hit and run driver, your crash may become even more infuriating—and, potentially, complicated.
A lawyer may be able to help you with your hit and run accident case and fight for monetary compensation on your behalf. Call Hammack Law Firm at 864-326-3333 to find out what a Pickens hit and run accident lawyer can do for you. The initial consultation is free.
Drivers Must Remain at the Scene of an Accident Until It Gets Reported
If you are in a car accident, it is common courtesy to stay at the scene, make sure the other driver is all right, and exchange insurance information. More than that, it is also the law.
SC Code § 56-5-1210 states that, in an accident where someone is injured or killed, the drivers may only leave the scene to move their cars out of the roadway or to report the accident. After taking such action, they must return to the scene and stay there until they have helped all injured parties to the best of their ability and provided their contact information.
Any driver who fails to follow these rules is a hit and run driver. Sadly, hit and run accidents are common in the United States. According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, there were 737,100 hit and run accidents in 2015 alone. If caught and convicted, these drivers can be fined or jailed for their actions. How severe these penalties may be will depend on how seriously the accident victim was injured. The more serious the injury, the more serious the punishment.
For a free legal consultation with a hit and run accidents lawyer serving Pickens, call 864-740-8653
You May Be Able to Recover Multiple Financial Damages
Whether you were injured or lost a loved one in a crash, you may have found yourself with mounting bills and no way to pay them. Pursuing monetary compensation may be an opportunity for you to relieve your financial burden.
So, how can you get compensation after a hit and run accident? One way is to hire a lawyer who can investigate your accident and discover the identity of the driver who hit you. If your lawyer discovers the hit and run driver, you may be able to sue them for compensation.
In personal injury cases like yours, you can sue for physical, mental, and monetary damages you suffered. Physical and mental injuries are called non-economic damages, while monetary losses are called economic damages. Below are a few examples of each.
Non-economic damages may include:
- Pain and suffering, such as physical or emotional distress that you experienced immediately after the crash or that you will continue to experience long-term
- Disfigurements, such as obvious scarring that affects your self-confidence or physical abilities
- Disability, such as a permanent impairment to your spine, limbs or other body parts
- Loss of companionship, such as losing the guidance and affection that you received from a loved one who passed away because of the crash
Economic damages may include:
- Medical expenses, such as ER visits, diagnostic tests, and prescription medications
- Miscellaneous expenses, such as hiring a lawn care service or cleaning service to take over chores your injury prevents you from doing
- Loss of income, such as the wages you could not earn because you had to take time off from work
- Loss of earning capacity, such as the wages you expected to earn in the future but that your injuries will prevent you from earning
Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UMC)
There are some cases where a hit and run driver cannot be found, despite the best efforts of your lawyer and law enforcement officials. You may still be able to recover compensation if this happens to you.
When you buy car insurance in South Carolina, uninsured motorist coverage (UM) is included. This coverage will help you pay for medical treatment and other expenses incurred because of a hit and run driver or an accident driver who is not insured. Additionally, you can purchase underinsured motorist coverage (UIM). UIM provides additional coverage when your medical treatment and expenses exceed the at-fault driver’s total available coverage.
Insurance is a tricky subject. For a more detailed explanation of how it works and what it may cover in your case, talk to an attorney at Hammack Law Firm today with no obligation. A Pickens hit and run accident lawyer can review your case and explain how your insurance policy may affect your case. Call the office of Hammack Law Firm at 864-326-3333 so that we can get started.
Pickens Hit and Run Accident Lawyer Near Me 864-740-8653
Our Legal Team Can Manage Your Case from Start to Finish
After an accident, you may want to spend time with your family and let your injuries heal in a stress-free environment. You should not have to shoulder the burden of fighting an insurance company or representing yourself in court. With the help of a lawyer from our law firm, you do not have to.
Every lawsuit is different, but they all have some factors in common. Our legal team can manage several legal aspects of your case for you, such as:
- The initial case assessment: To be sure you have a viable case, call us and tell us your story. A member of our team will tell you if you have a case at no charge and no obligation to you.
- Paperwork: Filling out forms can be tedious, and a single mistake might spell the end of your lawsuit. A lawyer can handle the paperwork for you.
- The accident investigation: We may put together a body of evidence (e.g., the police report, surveillance videos, and witness testimonies) to strengthen your case. We may also investigate to find the hit and run driver.
- Negotiations: Once you file your lawsuit, the insurance company may meet with us for pretrial negotiations. We can represent you at that meeting and fight for every dollar you are entitled to collect.
- Court proceedings: Unfortunately, there are some instances where the insurance company will not agree to pay what the claimant requests as compensation. In those cases, we are willing to schedule a trial, locate and question witnesses, and present arguments to a jury on your behalf.
Our glowing customer testimonials and Google reviews speak for themselves. Hammack Law Firm provides thoughtful, friendly service to all clients. Give us a call at 864-326-3333. A Pickens hit and run accident lawyer is ready to start working on your case.