Boats are just as freeing—and just as big a responsibility—as cars or motorcycles. The flip side to that is that boat accidents can be just as life-shattering as any other type of accident.
If you would like a Pickens boat injury lawyer to defend your rights and help you fight for compensation, call Hammack Law Firm at (864) 326-3333. A member of our boat accident team will evaluate your case at no charge and no obligation to you.
How and Why Boat Accidents Happen
According to the United States Coast Guard (USCG), there were 4,145 reported recreational boat accidents in the United States in 2018. Of these, over 2,500 accidents resulted in an injury, and over 600 resulted in a fatality.
The USCG also breaks down the causes of these boat accidents. The most common causes of boat accident injuries are:
- Inattention at the wheel: It is important to watch where you are going and perform all necessary maneuvers to keep your boat and passengers safe.
- Inattention at the lookout: Keeping an eye (and an ear) out for potential dangers, with or without the assistance of radar, is a critical job.
- Speeding: Going too fast can make it harder to spot obstacles and react quickly enough when obstacles appear.
Common causes of boat accident fatalities include:
- Alcohol use: Drinking and driving is not just a land-based problem. Alcohol can impair your judgment, vision, and reaction time in any circumstance.
- Fast-moving water: This refers to a current or any other phenomenon that can sweep a boat away or otherwise cause you to lose control.
- Inattention at the wheel: As stated previously, allowing your attention to wander while behind the wheel—even just for a moment—can have serious consequences.
As you can see, many fatal and injury boat accidents are attributable to human error. However, accidents can also be caused by a dangerous environment or equipment malfunction.
For a free legal consultation with a boating accidents lawyer serving Pickens, call 864-740-8653
You May Qualify for Damages for a Limited Time
Per South Carolina Annotated Code § 15-3-530, accident victims or their survivors typically have the right to sue for up to three years after the date of the event (either the accident or your loved one’s death). Otherwise, you may forfeit your right to monetary compensation.
The following types of damages may be available in a personal injury lawsuit:
- Pain and suffering: i.e., your (or your loved one’s) injuries were physically and emotionally distressing
- Quality of life: i.e., you (or your loved one) had to make major lifestyle changes to accommodate the accident injuries
- Medical costs: i.e., you (or your loved one) sought medical care from a doctor, a surgeon, a physical therapist, or any other medical professional
There are also a few types of damages that are only available to those pursuing a wrongful death suit. These may include:
- Funeral costs: i.e., you were financially responsible for your loved one’s funeral, burial, and so on
- Loss of companionship: i.e., you have been prematurely deprived of your loved one’s presence, support, and affection
- Loss of financial support: i.e., you must figure out how to make ends meet without your loved one’s income
Figuring out what you may qualify for is only half the battle when it comes to creating a list of damages. You will also be expected to quantify those damages. This means figuring out how much each damage is worth in monetary terms. This may be straightforward for some types of damages, such as medical or funeral costs. However, it gets more complicated with intangible, noneconomic damages such as quality of life or loss of companionship. If you have any questions or doubts about your list of damages, contact Hammack Law Firm.
At Hammack Law Firm, we believe that the best way to keep our fellow South Carolinians safe is to hold irresponsible vehicle operators accountable for their actions. We can help you do this by fighting for the compensation that your accident may entitle you to.
Contact our office at (864) 326-3333. We serve Pickens, South Carolina and other communities throughout the state.
Pickens Boating Accident Lawyer Near Me 864-740-8653
What a Pickens Boat Injury Lawyer Can Do for You
We know this is a difficult time for you and your family. Rather than adding a lawsuit to your list of responsibilities, hire a lawyer from Hammack Law Firm to manage your case for you.
Here is just a glimpse into what Hammack Law Firm can do for you:
- Identify liable parties: Our independent investigation will not only show that you deserve compensation, but it will tell us who you should file your lawsuit against.
- File paperwork: We can help you select the right forms, keep track of submission deadlines, and send completed forms to the right parties.
- Negotiate: Do not worry about meeting with or trying to persuade the insurance company to pay. We will represent you at all negotiations.
- Go to trial: If the insurance company does not offer a fair pretrial settlement, we will arrange to take your case to court.
- Give advice: If you ever have questions or are not sure what to do, talk to us. We will guide you and advise you through every single step.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Reach out to Hammack Law Firm Today
Our Google reviews and client testimonials say it all: Hammack Law Firm provides honest, compassionate legal services when you need them most. To make legal representation available to everyone, we charge no legal fees unless and until we help you win compensation. Call our boat accident team at (864) 326-3333 to find out more. If you qualify, a Pickens boat injury lawyer from our firm can represent you no matter how difficult your case is.
Call or text 864-740-8653 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form