Wrongful Death Lawyers With Extensive Experience Help You Get The Relief Your Family Deserves
Hammack Law Firm is committed to our clients. With more than 19 years of litigation and trial experience, Paul Hammack has received an AV rating from the prestigious Martindale-Hubbell. He has spent the last 17 years working for insurance companies, so he knows the industry secrets and he can put that knowledge and experience to work for you.
Experience matters when it comes to wrongful death cases. If you have a need for an experienced wrongful death attorney who will give you the personal service, compassion, and care that you deserve, call us today. We are here to help.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Greenville, call 864-326-3333
Recent Wrongful Death Case Victory
SettlementWrongful death settlement involving an elderly pedestrian who was run over and killed by a pickup truck in a restaurant parking lot.
Greenville Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 864-326-3333
Wrongful Death Attorneys in Greenville
Wrongful death is taken very seriously here at Hammack Law Firm. Our founding attorney, Paul Hammack, lost both of his parents in unexpected accidents. The impact of his loss was profound and the grief of these experiences still follows him until this day.
This is what makes Hammack Law Firm such a formidable law firm when it comes to wrongful death claims.
Survivors who have lost a friend, confidant, spouse, parent, or child need someone to turn to when facing such a life-changing loss. Aside from the emotional and mental trauma, the costs associated with a wrongful death can be stress-inducing. Loved ones are often left to pay medical expenses and funeral costs, not to mention endure the loss of financial and emotional support they received from their deceased relative.
Fortunately, South Carolina law allows surviving family members to bring a wrongful death claim against the wrongdoer to help ease these financial burdens.
If negligence or malicious intent played a role in the passing of a loved one, the compassionate and dedicated wrongful death attorneys of Hammack Law Firm are ready to deliver the personalized and caring attention your claim deserves. While we understand that no amount of compensation can ever make up for the loss of a loved one, we know that real loss demands real action.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Wrongful death occurs because of another party’s negligence or intentional actions. The most common causes of wrongful death, and which may be relevant to your particular claim, include:
- Auto accidents: Car accidents can be extremely fatal when they occur at high speeds. Distracted driving accidents, drunk driving accidents, roadway aggression, and even construction-related accidents can all lead to wrongful death.
- Truck Accidents: Because of the sheer size of a commercial truck, collisions with them are often fatal. The driver, truck company, maintenance team or a manufacturer of parts used in the truck can be held liable for their neglect.
- Bicycle Accidents: Riders are very vulnerable to the dangers of the road. If your loved lost their life as a result of car-bicycle accident, you have the right to legal remedy.
- Medical Malpractice: A breach of standard of care can lead to a loss of life. Medical malpractice can include birth injuries, surgical errors, misdiagnosis, wrong medication prescribed, and other negligent actions.
- Defective Products: All parties involved in the chain of distribution are liable for ensuring a safe product reaches consumers, and nothing less. Relatives of those affected by a defective product can recover settlements from negligent companies.
- Work-Related Incidents: No individual should face death in their occupational duties. Unfortunately, wrongful death can easily occur if an employer fails to implement proper care and safety protocols.
- Intentional Violence/Criminal Activity: Individuals who committed an unlawful act that caused the loss of your loved one can be held accountable in both criminal and civil court.
Our experienced wrongful death attorneys are here when you need us most. Contact us today at 864-326-3333 for a FREE consultation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
South Carolina Wrongful Death Laws
As per the South Carolina Code of Laws § 15-51-10, wrongful death is defined as the “wrongful act, neglect, or default of another.” Had the victim survived these dangers, they could have sought to recover damages through a personal injury claim.
In instances where the negligence results in death, certain appointed persons can file on behalf of the decedent – or individual who lost their life.
It is also worth noting that there is a time limitation to filing a wrongful death claim. The statute of limitations for wrongful death claims in South Carolina is three (3) years from the date of the deceased person’s death. However, in certain cases against government agencies or other individuals, the statute of limitations can be reduced to two (2) years. Failure to file within this time frame will generally result in your case being dismissed. Fatal accidents can take time to investigate, so give your lawyers sufficient time to analyze and research your claim so that justice can be successfully obtained on behalf of your loved one. We understand that your pain is real, and because of this, you deserve real results. Contact the Greenville, SC, wrongful death attorneys of Hammack Law Firm right now at 864-326-3333 for a FREE case consultation.
Who Can File A Wrongful Death Claim?
In the state of South Carolina, the first person allowed to file a wrongful death claim is the executor or administrator of the deceased persons’ estate, which is usually appointed in the victim’s estate plan.
If no person is appointed, then a court may assign a recipient of the estate.
Executors and administrators of the decedent’s estate pursue the claim on behalf of the surviving family members. Relatives that can pursue compensation include:
- The surviving spouse and children of the deceased.
- If there is no spouse or children, parents of the deceased are eligible.
- If the deceased has no such relatives, then the heir(s) in law are next in line.
- If the victim of wrongful death was under the age of 18, then parents are allowed to recover damages on behalf of their child.
What Compensation Is Available in a Wrongful Death Claim
No amount of compensation can ever make up for the loss of a loved one. However, surviving family members still deserve justice and recovery. Our Greenville wrongful death attorneys will work hard to help you secure the financial compensation needed to relieve you of any financial burden you have suffered as the result of the loss of life. Although there is no set standard amount of damages one can expect to recover in a wrongful death claim, the following may be awarded according to the circumstances of your specific situation:
- Funeral and burial expenses.
- Medical expenses related to the deceased final moments.
- Loss of income such as wages or job benefits.
- Property damage and other losses in the death-related incident.
- Loss of the deceased individual’s guidance and support.
- Loss of bond with the deceased individual.
- Mental anguish, pain and suffering of surviving relatives.
Punitive damages may also be awarded upon the evidence of intentional misconduct, recklessness, or negligence.
Building a Successful Wrongful Death Claim
Building a Successful Wrongful Death Claim
A wrongful death claim can become more complex than a regular personal injury claim. The victim is not present to speak on behalf of their experiences, pain, and suffering. Because of this, it is crucial to seek out legal guidance from a knowledgeable Greenville attorney who has real experience handling these types of claims.
Evidence of negligence, recklessness, or intentional wrongdoing is the very foundation of a wrongful death claim. You must seek viable proof of the injustice that caused direct harm and death to your deceased loved one.
As soon as you get in contact with an attorney, we will get to work determining the validity of your claim and securing the necessary evidence needed to develop the strongest case possible.
The elements that tie into a successful wrongful death claim include:
- Evidence that the death resulted from the incident at hand.
- Available proof that the defendant is liable for the deceased one’s death.
- Demonstration of how you and other members of the victim’s family are directly affected by the passing.
- Proof of disparity in finances causing economic hardship due to the loss of the victim’s previous contributions.
We can understand that you might be a bit hesitant in seeking out a wrongful death lawyer and may be wary of having to relive the events of the accident. Rest assured, that we will work diligently to limit any negative emotional effects and will carry the vast majority of the legal burden. Our goal is to help you secure the recovery you need while you heal from the emotional trauma you have suffered.
Hammack Law Firm Is Here for You When You Need Us Most
The Greenville wrongful death attorneys of Hammack Law Firm can serve you in the following ways:
- Offer you the attentive care and compassion you deserve while you may still be grieving.
- Approach your case with the necessary knowledge and years of active practice in wrongful death cases.
- Effectively investigate your claim.
- Collaborate with a team of medical and research specialists to bring about necessary evidence.
- Keep you informed and in the loop as all events unfold.
- Take your claim to trial if necessary.
Hammack Law Firm has helped thousands of victims of personal injury and wrongful death find a glimmer of hope after suffering through a tragic event. We understand that the loss of a loved one can have a lifelong impact, so our aim is to help alleviate the financial burdens and secure the justice you need to begin healing.
Hammack Law Firm is sorry for your loss. Negligent parties should face the consequences of their actions, and you and your family should not have to suffer alone. Although nothing can replace what you have lost, our lawyers can help you fight for justice and work to help prevent this kind of tragedy from happening again.
If you have any questions over how we may be of service to you, contact the wrongful death attorneys of Hammack Law Firm at 864-326-3333 for a FREE, zero-obligation consultation.
- Right to our respect, courtesy, compassion and empathy
- Right to talk with us within 24 hours of your call
- Right to timely updates on your case progress