Greenville Bus Accident Lawyer
Mass transit is a convenient and financially friendly mode of transportation. Those who take the bus in Greenville may think that public transport is very safe and never anticipate the possibility of an accident.
Although bus accidents occur at a fraction of the rate that normal passenger vehicle collisions do, victims can sustain catastrophic injuries if they are involved in a bus accident. Buses are much larger than other vehicles and their occupants are vulnerable in this situation.
If you or a loved one have suffered injuries or other losses in a bus accident in Greenville, you should be informed of your rights and hold the negligent party accountable. Bus accidents can be devastating and result in life-changing circumstances. If you were hurt in a bus crash, the Greenville bus accident attorney of Hammack Law Firm are ready to assist you.
Common Types of Injuries in Bus Accidents
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, a total of 4,889 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal crashes in 2017, a 9% increase from 2016.
The types of injuries that you can suffer as a victim of a bus crash depend on many variables. If the driver was speeding, the trauma has a higher chance of being fatal or leaving passengers in a detrimental state.
Injuries that a passenger might suffer in a bus accident include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head injuries
- Fractured bones
- Cuts and bruises
- Burn injuries
- Internal injuries
- Emotional trauma (post-traumatic stress disorder)
Passengers are not the only ones vulnerable to trauma in the event of a bus accident. Pedestrians and other vehicle passengers can also suffer extremely serious injuries, similar to and even more severe than those that passengers of the bus may experience.
For a free legal consultation with a bus accidents lawyer serving Greenville, call 864-740-8653
Causes of Bus Accidents in Greenville
Buses are held to higher operating standards than vehicles that transport fewer occupants. In order to maintain the safety of all passengers, pedestrians, and other vehicles on the road, bus drivers are expected to exercise reasonable prudence.
More than this, buses should be properly maintained to avoid complications. Part of making sure that those who ride the bus are as safe as possible is to ensure that the bus will not break down during operation
Unexpected accidents happen in no particular fashion. A bus accident can occur for a number of reasons including:
- Unqualified bus drivers: Employers are responsible for making sure each of their drivers have passed their training program and been appropriately licensed before getting behind the wheel.
- Driver distraction or negligence: Bus drivers that are falling asleep or are distracted in other ways are not performing their job with the sense of gravity it deserves. Speeding, driving under the influence, and other negligent acts can cause passengers and other vehicles serious harm.
- Defective bus equipment: Manufacturers of bus parts may be held accountable for defective parts, including brakes that fail. If a defective bus part is the cause of an accident, then appropriate legal action should be taken for the sake of victims.
- Lack of bus maintenance: Bus companies are responsible for maintaining the proper function of their fleet. Even if bus drivers operate the bus as safely as possible, lack of maintenance can lead to a catastrophic event, which could have easily been prevented if more attention had been given to the bus’s condition.
- Road construction: Even with proper training, operating a bus is a task that takes a lot of precision and attention. When there is road construction or obstructions in the path of public transportation, bus drivers have to accomodate to these changes effectively or many passengers are at risk.
- Bad weather: Every vehicle must take precaution in the face of bad weather. This can be a particular danger when the bus is not maintained properly. Ineffective brakes or even faulty windshield wipers when it is raining can make for a dangerous situation.
- Traffic: Traffic congestion can also be a cause of major accidents. Cars may be interjecting and switching lanes to maneuver their way to their destination, and buses must be vigilant of cars and pedestrians alike. Accidents can be the fault of other drivers as well.
Liable Parties in a Bus Accident
Given the myriad ways that a bus accident can occur, many parties can be liable for the injury and harm inflicted on passengers, pedestrians, and other drivers involved in a bus accident.
Potentially at-fault parties of bus accidents in Greenville can include:
- Negligent bus drivers
- Companies that manage, own and/or operate the bus
- Companies that are responsible for maintaining the bus
- Manufacturers of bus equipment and parts
- Those in charge of roadway maintenance
- Negligent third-party drivers
If you are involved in a bus accident, you should contact your attorney immediately. The sooner you call Hammack Law Firm, the quicker we can begin our investigation, even if it means arriving at the scene to collect evidence and witness testimonies.
These situations can become complex given the variables of what caused the accident and which party may be held liable. In South Carolina, bus companies are protected by specific types of automobile insurance. These considerable policies should be equipped to provide coverage for all passengers in the event of a crash, so you should pursue a personal injury claim with the help of your lawyer.
Holding a negligent party accountable so that you may recover compensation to deal with the injuries and losses it caused you is much easier when you have the help of the Greenville bus accident attorneys of Hammack Law Firm at your side.
Greenville Bus Accident Lawyer Near Me 864-740-8653
School Bus Accidents
In America, the largest type of mass transit is via school buses. Every school day, over 25 million students ride the bus with the expectation they will be safely transported from home to school and vice versa. However, it is not impossible for a school bus to be involved in a crash due to similar causes of crashes in public transit buses.
Our children deserve to be protected and ensured a safe ride to school every day. This is why negligent parties must be held accountable. Other drivers should also take extra precaution around school buses and make the legally required stops as a school bus driver drops off students at their destination.
If a bus driver, or bus-related issue has caused an accident which injured your child, you should take legal action to seek justice and recover damages in this situation.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Steps to Take if Involved in a Bus Crash
The personal injury claim process can be challenging when common carrier vehicles are involved. You will need proper evidence of your injury and the negligence at hand, which requires a thorough investigation.
The Greenville bus accident lawyer of Hammack Law Firm recommends these steps to better handle the situation:
- Seek appropriate medical attention after being involved in a bus accident. Even if you feel that your injuries are minor, it is best that you have them assessed to prevent future complications. Your wellbeing is the most essential component.
- Preserve evidence from the scene. If you are able to, document any information that can be later used as evidence. You can take pictures of the scene, make a mental note about the events of the crash, and seek eyewitness testimonies if applicable.
- Seek help from the authorities. When cops reach the scene, they can provide an unbiased analysis of the events that occured. Police will conduct interviews, collect evidence, issue citations if any, and file a police report. All of this can serve as proof for indication of negligence.
- Contact your insurance company. If you are a driver of another vehicle who has been injured in a bus accident, you should call your insurance company and let them know about the situation. They can provide guidance on how to handle the financial recovery of the situation.
- Seek the helpful attorneys of Hammack Law Firm. Our team has the necessary knowledge and experience to handle your bus accident situation so that you may effectively seek compensation from negligent parties. Given the many variables that can be involved in bus crashes, our well-equipped legal team can provide the most seamless legal experience for your unique circumstances.
Our lawyer is prepared to work diligently to investigate the circumstances of the situation. When you seek legal guidance from the Hammack Law Firm, you will have the chance to secure the best settlement to aid in your injuries and losses sustained in the bus accident.
We know that victims of bus accidents deal with a lot, including physical pain, emotional and mental stress, and accumulating medical expenses. Know that you are not alone.
Call or text 864-740-8653 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form