Experienced Burn Injury Attorneys Are On Your Side
The World Health Organization (WHO) stated in a 2004 report that nearly 11 million people worldwide suffered from burn injuries that required medical attention. Their data continues to suggest that burns are becoming a global health problem, killing at least 180,000 people per year.
These types of injuries can be sustained anywhere, making them a danger to everyone. Workplace accidents, defective consumer products, and poor building maintenance are just a few factors that can cause serious burns. What is important, however, is that we bring those that harmed us to justice.
At Hammack Law Firm, we make it our priority to help those that have suffered burn injuries caused by the malicious or negligent actions of another party. You shouldn’t have to suffer because someone else made a conscious decision to put your safety aside in the quest for higher profit margins.
For a free legal consultation with a burn injury lawyer serving Greenville, call 864-514-8192
Types and Degrees of Burn Injuries
According to a report drafted by the American Burn Organization that focused on data between 2011 and 2015, close to 486,000 victims who suffered from burns and other fire-related injuries were treated at medical emergency departments across the nation. The organization also points out that burn injuries were proven to be fatal in roughly 3,400 civilians in 2016.
While these types of injury are a growing concern, they are often overlooked. Because of this, we must become more aware of the types of injuries that can occur so that we have a better understanding of how their effects:
- Thermal Burns – When an individual comes into contact with extreme heat that is given off by hot liquid, steam, or a fire, this is a thermal burn. It is one of the most common burn injuries.
- Chemical Burns – When an individual comes into contact with an unsafe chemical compound like acid, alkaline, or a chemical explosion, the individual can suffer from a chemical burn.
- Light Burns – When an individual is overexposed to light sources like sunlight or UV lights, they may experience light burns.
- Radiation Burns – When an individual comes into contact with nuclear radiation and fallout, they may sustain severe radiation burns.
To efficiently treat victims that have sustained any of the above, medical professionals categorize the type of burn and its severity into certain degrees:
- First-Degree Burns – A first-degree burn occurs when the top layer of skin has been damaged. Usually, minor inflammation and skin redness is present at the burn site. Damage is minimal, and takes about one week to heal.
- Second-Degree Burns – A second-degree burn reaches past the top layer of skin and causes more redness and blistering. Healing from this injury often takes several weeks, and the burn must be bandaged and tended to in order to prevent infection and other complications.
- Third-Degree Burns – A third-degree burn occurs when contact with some form of heat reaches deep into the layers of skin, even reaching bones and organs. Upon inspection, the burn site will be charred while the inside of it is white or black and dry. The severity of this type of burn can put the victim into hypothermia, shock, and can cause nerve damage. Third-degree burns can be fatal if treatment isn’t administered immediately.
People that are injured in burn accidents receive treatment depending on the degree of burn. Often, it involves the use of IV fluids, surgery, and many different forms of rehabilitation. Victims must also take preventative measures against infections. The outer layer of skin is your body’s primary defense against pathogens, and if it is compromised because of a burn injury, serious infections can further weaken the protective barrier and your immune system.
Suffering from a burn injury is excruciating for victims, often sapping their desire to fight for the compensation they need. Our burn injury attorneys are more than ready to take on your burn injury claim so that you can rest while you heal. Call us now to get started.
Greenville Burn Injury Lawyer Near Me 864-514-8192
Common Causes of Burn Injuries
Our daily lives revolve around the usage of some sort of heat source. Whether you are at work, school, or at home, you still carry some sort of risk in burning yourself if you aren’t careful.
In order to remain vigilant, we must understand where many of these kinds of burns can stem from. Some of the primary causes for burn injuries include:
- Defective Products – Defective consumer products powered by batteries or other sources of fuel can be dangerous to use as they can spark, overheat, and cause fires.
- Car Accidents – Car accidents can cause a lot of physical trauma, but burns are also possible for occupants involved in a car accident. A spark in the engine could ignite, causing passengers to sustain life-threatening burns.
- Fires in the Workplace – Burn injuries occur frequently at the workplace. So much so that in 2011, fires and explosions accounted for 3 percent of all workplace fatalities across the nation.
- Chemical Accidents – Chemical burns may seem more likely to occur in a laboratory, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. A chemical burn can occur at home, where usage of products like bleach or other types of household cleaning products have the ability to cause serious chemical burns.
- Electrocutions – High levels of electricity can not only cause thermal burns but internal damage to the organs as well. What makes an electrical current particularly deadly, however, is that it can affect the respiratory, nervous, and cardiovascular systems drastically, proving to be fatal to the victim.
What compensation is available to burn injury victims?
Fighting for our clients’ compensation is what the burn injury lawyers of Hammack Law Firm was born to do. Lead attorney Paul Hammack once represented insurance companies and now uses his intricate knowledge of their defenses to help injury victims. This advantage helps us earn our clients maximum monetary compensation to cover:
- Medical Expenses – Treatment for burn injuries is expensive. Most times, it involves multiple surgeries, trips to rehabilitation, and hospital visits. That alone can leave victims of burn accidents in debt up to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Our burn injury lawyer can help you secure monetary compensation that covers past, present, and future medical expenses related to your burn injury.
- Loss of Wages – A burn injury can leave you unable to work. This category of compensation can help you recover lost wages for work that was missed.
- Loss of Quality of Life – A burn injury can alter how you live the rest of your life. These injuries can inhibit your ability to enjoy life, relationships, and physical activities. Our attorneys can help you mitigate the damage a burn injury has caused to your quality of life with this type of monetary compensation.
Aside from the physical aspects of burn injuries, the severity of these types of injuries can also cause mental and emotional pain and permanent disfigurement. If this occurs, our burn accident attorneys will seek out damages that cover:
- Emotional/Physical Pain – The consequences of a burn injury can last long after the accident, both physically and psychologically. Burn injury treatments to heal both mind and body are necessary for your wellbeing. This category of compensation helps you get the optimal treatment you need to fully heal your body, mind, and spirit.
- Disfigurement – Catastrophic burn injuries can lead to scarring and disfigurement that can cause the victim to become depressed, embarrassed, or experience other traumatic emotional thoughts and hardships. Our burn injury attorneys can help you fight for compensatory damages needed for any repairs made to your scars or disfigurement.
If your burn injury happened while you were at work and you’ve decide to seek damages through your workers’ compensation, you may run the risk of settling for a smaller amount of compensation. At Hammack Law Firm, our goal is to maximize your monetary compensation to help you recover, which most times is much more than what you would receive under worker’s comp.
Our burn injury attorneys are waiting for your call. Let us help you bring these negligent or malicious parties to justice by winning the compensation you need in civil court.
You retain the right to seek out compensation for the damage that was dealt to you by individuals or companies that decided your safety wasn’t as important as their bottom line. Burn injuries are some of the most taxing, both monetarily and emotionally, injuries that anyone can sustain, and you deserve to be compensated.
Over the last 20 years, Hammack Law Firm has collected vast amounts of legal knowledge, developed professional relationships with medical and accident reconstruction specialists, and honed our legal strategies and tactics to help you get the maximum compensation for your injury.