If you or a loved one was injured in a truck accident in Florence, SC, the at-fault party’s negligence can mean you are entitled to financial recovery. Our personal injury team at Hammack Law Firm can help you seek compensation for your medical bills, loss of income, and pain and suffering. We can also help you identify the negligent party and determine who bears responsibility for compensating you.
For more than 20 years, Hammack Law Firm has helped trucking accident victims secure justice and financial compensation for their losses. Our Florence truck accident lawyer will work diligently to build your claim for recovery after a truck accident, and we are willing to take the case to court to win for you if necessary. We can review your legal options with you during a free consultation any time.
We Will Hold the Trucking Company Accountable
Establishing liability in a truck accident is important because it determines who pays for the damages in the collision. Multiple parties can be liable in this kind of accident, which can complicate these cases rather quickly. Our personal injury team will investigate your accident and review the actions of all parties involved.
With millions of vehicles on the roads, accidents are bound to happen. However, those involving trucks are among the most dangerous road collisions that can happen. When they do, they cause severe injuries and fatalities. Data from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) shows that more than 4,500 fatal crashes involved a large truck or bus on U.S. roadways in 2018.
Contributing Factors in Truck Collisions
Per the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), the majority of deaths in crashes involving large trucks are people in passenger vehicles. One reason is due to trucks weighing between 20 to 30 times as much as passenger cars. Other factors that contribute to truck accidents include:
- Ground clearance. Because trucks are taller than passenger cars, smaller vehicles often ride underneath trucks, causing serious and fatal injuries.
- Braking distance. Per the IIHS, loaded tractor-trailers can take between 20% and 40% more braking capacity than cars to stop. If the ground is wet or slippery, or if the truck’s brakes fail, a truck will not stop in time and crash into other vehicles, injuring other motorists.
- Driver fatigue. Truck drivers who put in long hours on the road are at risk of causing an accident. Federal regulations require that drivers of large trucks drive no more than 11 hours at a time. If a company requires its truckers to pull longer hours, it is in violation of these laws.
There are other reasons why truck accidents happen, including truckers who:
- Drive under the influence of alcohol and drugs (including prescription or over-the-counter drugs)
- Speed or engage in other reckless driving behavior
- Make wide turns
- Follow other vehicles too closely (tailgate)
Tire blowouts, defective truck parts, and improper cargo loading also cause accidents. Common collisions include:
- Rollover accidents, which happen when cargo load shifts or a truck attempts to turn too fast
- Jackknife accidents, which happen when the attached trailer of a big rig or a large semi-truck faces the opposite direction of its cab.
Who You Can Hold Liable in a Trucking Accident
Depending on what caused the trucking accident, the liable party could be:
- The truck driver
- The truck driver’s employer
- The truck’s manufacturer
- The truck’s parts manufacturer
After a truck accident, you are entitled to seek compensation for your injuries by proving the at-fault party’s negligence.
To help you fight for compensation, our team will take steps to identify the liable party and prove they owed you a duty of care, breached their duty, and caused your injuries based on the evidence. We also help prove the accident was responsible for your financial expenses and losses.
Securing Evidence in Your Accident Is Critical
Trucking companies involved in accidents can seek to dismiss claims of their liability, saying others are responsible. They can also make it challenging to prove negligence on their part and may even attempt to cover up their role in accidents and any safety violations that can be traced back to them.
Our attorneys know the state and federal laws that apply to the trucking industry. We also know what kinds of evidence we need to prove your case, which can include:
- The driver’s logbook
- The driver’s driving record
- Drug and alcohol test results
Our team will thoroughly investigate the accident and hold the driver who hit you and other parties legally responsible for their negligence. In many cases, trucking companies have evidence in their possession that can help us prove they are responsible for your accident. This evidence can include:
- Truck maintenance records
- Truck’s onboard computer data
- Dashcam video footage
- Records of driver’s work history
- Driver training records
Evidence We Will Review in Your Case
Our team understands that time is of the essence and that we must move quickly to secure this evidence. We will send a spoliation letter to the trucking company under review to preserve the evidence in your case. This is to ensure that we can examine it to determine liability.
Other accident evidence we will look at includes:
- The accident report
- Medical records that show the extent of your injuries and treatment
- Photographs and/or videos of the accident scene and your injuries
- Witness statements
- Expert witness testimony
- Video surveillance
- Driver cellphone records
Recoverable Damages in Your Florence, SC, Truck Accident
Per S.C. Ann § 15-32-210, negligence entitles you to seek monetary damages for your injuries. It also entitles you to compensation for the expenses and losses that stem from your injuries. Our team will help you thoroughly value both types of expenses and ensure your lawsuit is accurately valued.
We Will Determine the Value of Your Economic Damages
The economic damages you suffer because of a truck accident include those that are typically proven with receipts, estimates, and other tangible proof of your expenses. Your recoverable economic damages can include:
- Current and anticipated medical bills
- Vehicle damage or replacement
- Medications and medical devices
- Current and anticipated lost wages
- Necessary household and medical services
In the aftermath of the accident, you need time to focus on restoring your physical health. Your family may also need time to focus on final arrangements and emotional recovery if you lost a loved one in the accident. We understand, so while you focus on getting well, we focus on building your case.
Our Team Can Determine the Value of Your Non-Economic Damages
Non-economic damages after a car accident are those that have an undetermined financial value. They are calculated based on several factors that our team will help you understand. Your recoverable non-economic damages can include:
- Physical impairment
- Physical disfigurement
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
On your own, calculating these types of damages can be challenging. Our team will help you understand how we use the timeline and degree of your physical and emotional trauma to assign a financial value to your non-economic damages.
We Will Fight for Your Compensation in Court
We can assign a value to your lawsuit and negotiate a financial settlement with the insurers of the liable party or parties, but make no mistake that we prepare every case to go to court. If a settlement agreement cannot be reached, we will take the case to court and help you keep fighting for the financial compensation you are entitled to receive.
Hammack Law Firm Team Is Here for You While We Pursue Your Recovery
Our lawyer serving Florence is dedicated to ensuring every client we represent feels cared for and appreciated. Our client-centered team members will:
- Care for you as we care for our friends and family members
- Support you through the physically and emotionally trying experience of your truck accident
- Ensure your case gets the personalized time and attention it deserves
While we focus on building your case and a relationship with you, we also focus on making Florence and other communities throughout South Carolina a safer place for residents.
When past clients speak of our commitment to their case, they say, “I have been very pleased with the Hammack Law Firm. This firm has been helpful in all ways of settling a dispute. If one ever needs an attorney, Hammack Law Firm is the best! Everyone that works here is most helpful, courteous, and very professional!” – Jackie Looper
We Prove the Negligence That Leads to Compensation
“Very warm and welcoming atmosphere. Paul Hammack and his team helped me get what I deserved, and they did not stop until they did.” – Monica Opdyke.
The clients that we represent share testimonials like this one because we fight hard to prove the negligence that leads to compensation and the types and amounts of compensation you deserve. We understand how insurance companies work, and we are ready to counter their arguments with the facts. We will use all the evidence available and the resulting valuation of your lawsuit to fight for a favorable settlement.
In addition, if you do not win the case, we will not charge you any fees, so you do not have to wait to start fighting for compensation.
We Make Sure Your Case Is Filed on Time
If an agreement with the insurance companies cannot be reached, we will proceed to court. To preserve your right to go to court, if necessary, we make sure your potential lawsuit is filed on time. According to S.C. Ann § 15-3-530, the statute of limitations is generally three years for:
- Personal injury lawsuits – Our team will help you prepare and file this type of lawsuit if you or someone you love was injured in the accident
- Wrongful death lawsuits – Our team will help you prepare and file this type of lawsuit if someone you love lost their life in the accident
Clients we have helped in the past say, “They were very friendly and nice. They answered all my questions very well. They welcomed my whole family. Did everything that I expected and more.” – Kimberly Higgins
We get testimonials like this one because we work hard to take care of every legal aspect of your lawsuit so that you can focus on yourself and your family.
Get Your Free Consultation Immediately
If you need help fighting for compensation after a truck accident, our Hammack Law Firm lawyer serving clients in the Florence area will help you. You don’t have to take on a trucking company or their insurance companies by yourself.
We will represent you and fight for your recovery every step of the way. Call one of our team members right away by calling (864) 326-3333 to get started on your free consultation and case review.