A truck accident is called a jackknife when the front and rear of the truck fold into each other. This type of truck accident can be more than dangerous – it can be deadly. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, there were 2,000 jackknife accidents in 2016 that resulted in 194 fatalities. If you were injured or your loved one was fatally injured in a jackknife accident, our Charleston jackknife accident lawyer can help.
When you seek financial compensation for your injuries or the loss of your loved one, the team at Hammack Law Firm will help you assign a value to your damages and build a case that proves your right to them. As an authority on truck accidents and trucking safety, you can count on us to fight for the compensation you deserve.
Damages We Can Help You Recover After a Truck Accident
When a truck jackknifes, it can leave the passengers in smaller vehicles with injuries that range from minor to serious to catastrophic to fatal. Any degree of injuries can leave you with mounting medical bills. You can also be left with a damaged or destroyed car. In addition to your medical care and vehicle repairs or replacement, our Charleston jackknife accident lawyer can also seek compensation for:
- Current and future loss of income
- Ongoing rehabilitation and therapy
- In-home medical and domestic help
- Physical impairment and disfigurement
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
Our truck accident team works with you, your medical team, and your employer to calculate the monetary value of these expenses and obtain the documents that prove them. We also work hard to ensure that you get the best possible payout from the insurance company representing the at-fault truck driver, their employer, and/or the company that manufactured the truck or its parts and components.
Documents That Prove Your Damages
When we file a personal injury case for you, we will include a wide range of evidence to establish the at-fault party’s negligence. To accomplish this, we must prove that they owed you a reasonable duty of care, failed to provide it, caused your injuries, and caused your financial damages. We will also include evidence that proves the value of your recoverable damages. This may include:
- Vehicle repair costs or replacement value estimates
- Medical, therapeutic, and rehabilitation expenses
- Tax forms, pay stubs, and direct deposit receipts
- Receipts for funeral and burial expenses if your loved one died from their injuries
We will also include your written prognosis and notes from any mental health professionals whose services you use. These help us establish the value of your pain and suffering and the extent of your emotional suffering as well.
We do the work of gathering all this evidence for you, so you can focus on what matters most – healing from your injuries.
Resolving Your Case with a Settlement Versus a Trial
The vast majority of personal injury cases like yours are resolved without going to court. When your evidence file is comprehensive, persuasive, and proves the at-fault party’s negligence and liability, their insurer is far more likely to opt for a financial settlement.
In addition to ensuring that your case is valued correctly and your settlement is fair, we also make sure that you understand the entire negotiation process. We will be there to guide you and answer your questions every step of the way.
If the insurance company offers a settlement that is less than you deserve, we are fully prepared to take your case to court to fight for you.
Meeting the Filing Deadline
In Charleston, the personal injury and wrongful death statute of limitations is generally three years, according to S.C. Ann. § 15-3-530.
If this statute of limitations expires, you will not be able to seek compensation from the at-fault party and will have to bear the financial burden of the accident on your own. Therefore, we must comply with this deadline if we decide to take your case to trial.
For a free legal consultation with a jackknife accidents lawyer serving Charleston, call 864-740-8653
How Hammack Law Firm Supports You
After a negligence-based truck accident in Charleston, our team is committed to resolving your case. We make sure you get the personal benefits of our small firm environment with the results you expect from our big firm experience. To support you in your fight for compensation, our team will:
- Identify the at-fault party or parties
- Calculate your recoverable damages
- Build a supportive evidence file
- Submit your evidence to the insurer
- Negotiate a financial settlement
- Go to trial if necessary
Our jackknife accident lawyer will treat you like a person, not a case file. We work hard to hold negligent truck drivers and their insurance companies accountable for their actions by seeking financial compensation for every client we represent.
See what Others Say About Our Team
We serve our clients with courtesy, empathy, and respect. Here are just a few examples of our Google Reviews and the customer testimonials on our website:
- “Absolutely the BEST attorney. He and his staff truly cared about my wife’s injuries after her accident. He and his staff went above and beyond what I would’ve expected. Absolutely without question, I would refer him, and I have done so already.” – Scott Opdyke
- “Hammack Law Firm is absolutely one of the finest, most professional group of people I have ever met…Paul is very personable and reaches out to each and every one of his clients to keep them informed on their case! I give them a five-star rating!” – Lauren Marvin
- “Attorney Hammack and his team of professionals are absolutely wonderful. They were informative every step of the way by explaining the personal injury process. They worked tirelessly to ensure that I would be granted the largest settlement possible…Thanks so much.” – LaConda Moore
You can count on Hammack Law Firm to give your truck accident case the same time and attention we gave to each of these satisfied clients. We will also make sure you get the personal support you need as you cope with the consequences of your accident.
Charleston Jackknife Accident Lawyer Near Me 864-740-8653
Get Your Free Consultation Now
If a truck jackknifed in Charleston and you or someone you loved were injured, our jackknife accident lawyer can help you pursue the compensation you deserve. Get your case started by calling (864) 326-3333 for a free consultation with Hammack Law Firm today.