If you or a loved one was involved in a truck accident in Anderson, South Carolina, you may be able to recover compensation. You can use the financial compensation you receive to support yourself and your family, either temporarily as you recover or permanently if your injuries prevent you from earning a living. An Anderson truck accident lawyer could help you seek monetary awards.
Our team at Hammack Law Firm can give you a free consultation and help you discover why our clients give us such positive Google reviews.
How Long Do You Have to File Your Lawsuit?
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Anderson, call 864-740-8653
Personal Injury Damages
In personal injury cases, you may be entitled to:
Economic damages are monetary losses, such as:
- Repair costs: If the truck accident damaged or totaled your vehicle, necessitating repairs or the purchase of a new vehicle.
- Cost of medical care: If the truck accident caused injuries serious enough that you went to a doctor or hospital for treatment.
- Loss of income: If your accident injuries temporarily kept you from working. If your injuries are permanent, you may qualify for loss of earning capacity or loss of employment, as well.
Non-economic damages are physical and emotional losses, such as:
- Disfigurement: If your injuries will never heal completely, leaving you with permanent scars or marks.
- Disability: If your injuries will permanently affect your ability to use one or more parts of your body. This includes the brain (i.e., an intellectual disability).
- Pain and suffering: If the accident and/or your accident injuries caused you noticeable distress.
Anderson Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 864-740-8653
Wrongful Death Damages
You may also be entitled to economic and non-economic damages in a wrongful death case. These often include the same types of damages already discussed (e.g., the money your deceased loved one spent on medical care), as well as damages like:
- Loss of financial support: Your loved one’s passing means you can no longer rely on their income to help you support your family.
- Funeral costs: Laying someone to rest and settling their affairs can be very expensive.
- Loss of companionship: You will never again be able to turn to your loved one for advice or affection.
The types of damages you can sue for will depend on the specifics of your case. Likewise, the amount of money accident victims recover varies on a case-by-case basis. You might find it helpful to discuss your accident with an attorney or hire a lawyer to manage your case for you.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
How Hiring an Anderson Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help You Build a Solid Case
If you or a loved one was in a truck accident, you need and deserve time to recover physically and emotionally. Sparring with an insurance company and filing legal paperwork are the last things you want to do. In addition, the accident has probably rattled your nerves, making it more difficult for you to view the situation objectively so that you can build a strong, professional case.
Hammack Law Firm can help you seek the justice and the compensation you need by managing your lawsuit on your behalf. We would be happy to handle tasks such as:
- Providing you with legal advice: Confused by a legal concept? Not sure whether to settle or go to court? Your lawyer is here to answer your questions, big and small.
- Investigating your case: Collecting evidence from as many sources as possible to back up your claims is very important.
- Handling all paperwork: This includes everything from notifying the liable party about your lawsuit to submitting documentary evidence to the judge who will hear your case.
- Valuing your case: Your lawyer can help you figure out what damages you are eligible for and how much money you can request for each.
- Negotiating: We are not afraid to confront the liable party’s insurance company and fight hard for the money you deserve.
- Preparing your court case: Many cases end with pretrial settlements and do not go to trial. However, this does not mean we will shy away from representing you in the courtroom if necessary.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
When Should You Hire a Commercial Truck Accident Attorney?
You must act promptly following a commercial truck accident to ensure the potentially responsible individuals and companies maintain evidence such as dispatch information, safety records, driver logs, and electronic information obtained from the truck itself.
A commercial truck accident lawyer can assist you in determining the key parties involved and preserve information for use in building your case.
South Carolina Truck Accident Facts
According to data from the South Carolina Department of Public Safety (SCDPS), the number of truck tractor units involved in traffic accidents increased every year from 2015 to 2018. In 2015, crashes numbered 4,419, and by 2018, they rose to 5,159. They fell slightly in 2019 (the last version available) to 5,087.
Nationwide, commercial truck drivers are legally required to complete special training and adhere to specific state and federal regulations while operating a vehicle. Due to the vast size of large semi-trucks or tractor-trailers, accidents involving them are more dangerous for all affected.
In 2019, 82 individuals were killed and 126 were seriously injured in truck tractor collisions in South Carolina. In truck accident cases, drivers or passengers riding in standard vehicles are most likely to be injured or killed.
Common Causes of Commercial Truck Accidents
A motor vehicle accident can occur anytime, and causes vary widely. To initiate a South Carolina truck accident claim, you need to identify the cause(s) of your accident to determine what happened and who is at fault.
If you’re unsure of what caused your crash, our attorneys can help. But, first, we’ll need to investigate the evidence and uncover the cause, which could be related to one of the following problems:
The law dictates that semi-truck operators have a set amount of time to work before they must take a break. Despite this, employers may offer incentives to drivers to encourage finishing routes faster. Tragically, this means that some commercial truckers drive for too long, causing fatigue. This can result in drowsiness, slower response times, and potentially serious mistakes.
Many accidents involving preoccupied drivers are related to cell phones and other electronic devices. Texting or talking while driving (unless using a hands-free device) can distract the operator and result in an unfortunate preventable accident.
Driving While Intoxicated
Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is dangerous regardless of which vehicle(s) are involved. However, when semi-truck drivers are intoxicated and risk jackknifing, they place many lives in danger’s path.
Truckers who cause an accident while intoxicated deserve to be held liable for paying damages to others who are impacted.
Defective Vehicle Parts
Products can be faulty, and second-rate manufacturing can result in those products breaking down at inopportune times. When parts in trucks or other vehicles are defective, the manufacturer may be held accountable for a person’s injuries.
Although a large commercial vehicle may be relatively immune to road hazards such as potholes, road hazards can still cause an accident. Instead of pursuing damages from the truck driver or its company, victims may seek compensation from a municipality when a government road authority fails to ensure drivers’ safety.
South Carolina Commercial Truck Accident Injuries
Possible injuries incurred in a commercial truck may include:
- Brain injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Health issues caused by exposure to toxic chemicals
It is imperative to note that some injuries may not be noticeable immediately. For example, it may take several days for aches and pains from injuries to appear or for the victim to notice symptoms of a concussion.
Don’t Hesitate to Reach Out to Our Attorneys Today
Filing a lawsuit is a big step and should not be taken lightly. At Hammack Law Firm, we believe in always putting our clients’ needs first, and that includes your financial needs. Call our office at (864) 326-3333 to receive a free case evaluation and learn more about how an Anderson truck accident lawyer may be able to help you.