If you or a loved one was involved in a truck accident in Anderson, South Carolina, you may be able to recover compensation. You can use the financial compensation you receive to support yourself and your family, either temporarily as you recover or permanently if your injuries prevent you from earning a living. An Anderson truck accident lawyer could help you seek monetary awards.
Call Hammack Law Firm at (864) 326-3333 for a free consultation and discover for yourself why our clients give us such positive Google reviews.
When to Sue and What to Sue For
How long do you have to begin your lawsuit? According to South Carolina Code §15-3-530, you may file your suit at any time up to three years from the accident date. This statute applies whether you are filing an injury case or a wrongful death lawsuit.
In personal injury cases, you may be entitled to economic (monetary) damages such as the following:
- Repair costs: The truck accident damaged or totaled your vehicle, necessitating repairs or the purchase of a new vehicle.
- Cost of medical care: The truck accident caused injuries serious enough that you went to a doctor or hospital for treatment.
- Loss of income: Your accident injuries temporarily kept you from working. If your injuries are permanent, you may qualify for loss of earning capacity or loss of employment instead.
You may also be entitled to non-economic (physical and emotional) damages, which include things like:
- Disfigurement: Your injuries did not heal completely, leaving you with permanent scars or marks.
- Disability: Your injuries will permanently affect your ability to use one or more parts of your body. This includes the brain, i.e., intellectual disability.
- Pain and suffering: The accident and/or your accident injuries caused you noticeable distress.
In wrongful death cases, you may be entitled to economic and non-economic damages. These often include the same types of damages already discussed (e.g., the money your deceased loved one spent on medical care), as well as damages like:
- Loss of financial support: Your loved one’s passing means you can no longer rely on their income to help you support your family.
- Funeral costs: Laying someone to rest and settling their affairs can be very expensive.
- Loss of companionship: You will never again be able to turn to your loved one for advice or affection.
The types of damages you can sue for will depend on the specifics of your case. Likewise, the amount of money accident victims recover varies on a case-by-case basis. You might find it helpful to discuss your accident with an attorney before you start or to hire a lawyer to manage your case for you.
How Hiring an Anderson Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help You Build a More Solid Case
If you or a loved one were in a truck accident, you need and deserve time to recover physically and emotionally. Having to spend your days sparring with an insurance company or filing legal paperwork is the last thing you want to be doing. In addition, your nerves have probably been rattled by the accident, making it more difficult for you to view things objectively so that you can build a strong, professional case.
Hammack Law Firm can help you seek the justice and the compensation you need by managing your lawsuit on your behalf. We would be happy to handle tasks such as:
- Providing you with legal advice: Confused by a legal concept? Not sure whether to settle or go to court? Your lawyer is here to answer your questions, big and small.
- Investigating your case: Collecting evidence from as many sources as possible to back up your claims is very important.
- Handling all paperwork: This includes everything from notifying the liable party about your lawsuit to submitting documentary evidence to the judge who will hear your case.
- Valuing your case: Your lawyer can help you figure out what types of damages you are eligible for and how much money you can request for each.
- Negotiating: We are not afraid to confront the liable party’s insurance company and fight hard for the money you deserve.
- Preparing your court case: Many cases end with pretrial settlements and do not go to trial. This does not, however, mean that we will shy away from representing you in the courtroom if necessary.
Don’t Hesitate to Reach Out to Our Attorneys Today
Filing a lawsuit is a big step and should not be taken lightly. At Hammack Law Firm, we believe in always putting our clients’ needs first, and that includes your financial needs. Call our office at (864) 326-3333 for a free case evaluation and learn more about how an Anderson truck accident lawyer may be able to help you.