If you or a loved one was involved in a vehicle accident as a pedestrian, you may be entitled to collect compensation for the injuries you sustained in the process. Drivers are obligated to follow traffic laws and keep pedestrians on the road safe from harm, so if a negligent driver caused your injuries, we want to help you hold them accountable.
If your accident occurred in Anderson or a surrounding area in South Carolina, a pedestrian accident lawyer at Hammack Law Firm wants to represent your case. We offer free case evaluations, during which you can ask more questions about how to start the legal process.
Our Team Can Help You Categorize and Calculate Your Damages
Figuring out the amount of compensation you may be entitled to involves categorizing and calculating your damages, as no two personal injury cases are the same. Your compensation is based on the financial, physical, emotional, and mental damages you suffered, which involves several values that no other individual can replicate.
To begin this process, we first divide your damages into two categories: economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages generally include any form of financial expense you faced since the accident occurred. However, they can also be interpreted as future debts you can anticipate and potential losses due to your limited earning power.
Economic damages may include:
- Medical treatment costs
- Property damage
- Current and future income loss
- Reduced earning capacity
- Mileage costs to attend medical appointments
- Other out-of-pocket expenses, such as to purchase prescription medicines or install accommodations into your home to meet your injury’s needs
Our team may request several kinds of financial documents, such as receipts and bill statements, to calculate and prove these values.
Unlike economic damages, non-economic damages are more subjective because they relate to physical, emotional, and mental losses you suffered. This category of damages is where the impact of your injuries is considered on a personal basis and why we place close attention to having your voice heard in your case.
These damages may include:
- Pain and suffering, both current and future
- Psychological trauma and other types of emotional anguish you experienced
- Losses related to living with a permanent disability or physical disfigurement
- Diminished quality of life overall, including a loss of joy in hobbies and activities
- Loss of consortium and other changes in your relationship dynamics
Our team can explain how we assign financial values to these types of damages during your consultation.
Wrongful Death Damages
Pedestrians are much more vulnerable in car accidents since they cannot protect themselves from the weight and force of a two-ton (or more) vehicle. Unfortunately, this means that some pedestrians do not survive their injuries after being hit by a car.
If your loved one passed away as a result of their pedestrian accident, we extend our deepest condolences and want you to know that you do not have to go through this alone. Our team can help you fight for compensation for the damages listed above, as well as:
- Costs for funeral services, including burial or cremation costs
- Loss of income from your loved one if they contributed to the family household
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of love and affection
- Loss of parental guidance
- Loss of society
- Pain and suffering experienced by both your loved one and family
Our Skilled Team of Attorneys Can Manage Your Case for You and Keep You Updated
When you decide to work with a pedestrian accident lawyer from our law firm, you also get the benefits of having our legal team work on your case. Legal cases are not a one-person job, as various parties might be involved, but there is one goal: to fight hard for your compensation.
Once you agree to become our client, we offer to do the following to help you grow your personal injury case in Anderson:
- Identify the liable party or parties involved in your case and send notices about your intention to file a claim or sue
- Collect evidence that supports your claim, including the crash report, video footage, witness testimony, and driving records
- Communicate with insurance companies and legal attorneys on your behalf, should they reach out for statements
- Advise you on whether to negotiate for a higher insurance settlement and do so on your behalf if so
- Represent you in court if negotiations do not meet your expectations or if there are policy limitations that cannot cover your damages
Our team can also handle standard administrative tasks on your behalf, so you don’t have to worry about filling out paperwork or handling various calls.
How We Charge for Our Services
Some people don’t consider hiring a lawyer because they assume they cannot afford one. However, our team works on a contingency-fee–basis, meaning you are not expected to pay attorney’s fees unless we win your case.
Our fees also come from an agreed-upon percentage of your compensation award, so you never have to pay out of pocket.
Pedestrian Victims Have a Limited Time in Which to Take Civil Action Against Drivers
If you are waiting for your injuries to heal before filing a lawsuit, we want to remind you that time might not give you the option to do so. When it comes to personal injury law, taking action sooner rather than later may be in your interest. Otherwise, the following might happen if you wait too long to file your case:
- Evidence might expire, such as surveillance video footage stored by businesses or residences that captured the accident.
- Witnesses who saw the accident might not remember the events clearly a year or more later, making their testimonies unreliable.
- Your case could get dismissed if you file past the statutory deadline, which is generally about three years from the accident date, per S.C. Ann §15-3-510. (Note: If you are suing a government entity, the deadline is two years, per S.C. Ann §15-78-110.)
Our team encourages you to take legal action as soon as possible. We can help you by filing certain motions with the courts so that your case is on time and meets requirements.
Call the Attorneys at Hammack Law Firm to Represent You in Your Case
Our team works hard to make every client feel valued and respected throughout their legal journey. You can read about how we treat our clients on our Google reviews, which are filled with positive experiences.
We want to fight for what you may be entitled to collect in Anderson. Call Hammack Law Firm at (864) 326-3333 to start working with a pedestrian accident lawyer from our team.
Call or text 864-740-8653 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form