You may be covered by your own insurance policy for harm caused by an uninsured motorist, but there are several possible hurdles to obtaining the compensation that you should be entitled to. An Anderson uninsured car accident lawyer can help you navigate the insurance claims process, including negotiating a fair settlement on your behalf. They can also help if insurance does not prove sufficient in covering your accident-related losses.
Call Hammack Law Firm today at 864-326-3333 for more details about how we can help after an accident involving an uninsured motorist.
The State of Uninsured Motorists in South Carolina
The Insurance Information Institute (III) reports that 9.4% of motorists in South Carolina lack the legally-required amount of automobile insurance. This means that almost one in every ten drivers on the road in Anderson could be uninsured, statistically speaking.
This does not mesh with the laws in South Carolina, which dictate that motorists must be insured in order to drive legally. The South Carolina Department of Insurance (DOI) explains that all motorists in South Carolina are required to have:
- $25,000 in bodily injury protection insurance per person
- $25,000 in property damage protection per accident
- A total of $50,000 in bodily injury protection insurance per accident
These insurance minimums protect drivers financially in the case that they cause an accident in which another party is injured. These coverage minimums within your own policy may cover your losses if the motorist who caused your accident does not have these coverages.
Considering the rate of uninsured motorists in our state, you may need your coverage to be effective—and may have to consider other means of pursuing compensation if it is not.
Potential Problems When Seeking Insurance Compensation
Investopedia lays out some of the complaints that policyholders have lodged against insurers, one or more of which could be relevant to you. Complaints include that:
- The insurance company offered an amount of compensation less than what they believed was fair
- Claim assessment and settlement offers took a long time to complete
- A claim was denied when it should not have been
Auto insurance accounted for the second most amount of complaints of any insurance type. It is possible that you could run into one or more issues when trying to obtain compensation through insurance. A lawyer will represent you in dealings with insurance companies, hoping to shield you from these negative outcomes.
Some of the insurance-specific responsibilities that your lawyer will handle are:
- Gathering evidence of your accident
- Collecting medical bills and other proof of your economic losses
- Documenting your injuries with help from medical professionals
- Adding up the total value of your losses to date, as well as those you are projected to lose in the future
- Counseling you before you make any on-the-record statements that could affect your coverage
- Handling direct communications with insurance agents to the greatest extent possible
- Negotiating your settlement
- Providing their opinion on the merits and flaws of any settlement offers that you receive
- Guiding you on whether a lawsuit could be necessary in the absence of a fair insurance settlement
Your Anderson uninsured car accident lawyer may have handled both insurance claims and lawsuits in the past and could be comfortable doing either. If they are not able to secure a settlement that is fair to you, then they may recommend pursuing compensation from the at-fault party through a lawsuit.
Call Hammack Law Firm today at 864-326-3333 for details about how we will lead your insurance claim, lawsuit, or both.
For a free legal consultation with a uninsured motorist accidents lawyer serving Anderson, call 864-326-3333
You Could Be Seriously Harmed By a Car Accident
Being in a vehicle collision can put great strain on your body. You may have suffered one or more specific injuries. Depending on the nature of your collision and injury, you may be unable to work for the foreseeable future and could experience other unwanted consequences.
Some of the injuries that might result from a car accident involving an uninsured motorist are:
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injury
- Soft tissue injury
- Serious cuts, bruises, and burns
- Internal bleeding
- Injuries to your organs
You may be entitled to compensation for the effects of each of your injuries. Some of the possible consequences of being injured in a car accident are:
- A significant period where you are unable to work
- Lost income because of missing work
- A period of hospitalization or bed confinement
- The need for somebody to care for you while you are injured
- Loss of independence
- Loss of physical abilities
- Harm to your mental health
- A lengthy period of rehabilitation
- Changes in your personality and cognitive abilities
- Permanent disability
The list of losses that you may have suffered could be longer than this. In the worst-case scenario, you may have lost a loved one because of the actions of an uninsured motorist. In that case, you could be entitled to losses specific to their passing.
Your Lawyer Will Pursue the Compensation You Deserve
Hiring a lawyer could serve many purposes, including allowing you to focus on recovery, helping a loved one recover, or mourning the passing of a loved one. Your lawyer will handle as many aspects of your lawsuit as they can, from helping you document your injuries to filing the lawsuit and seeing it through to completion.
If your lawyer is successful, then they will negotiate a settlement or win a judgment resulting in compensation for some or all of your losses. They will also defend your rights and serve as your guide throughout the insurance and legal processes.
Anderson Uninsured Motorist Accident Lawyer Near Me 864-326-3333
Call Hammack Law Firm Today to Learn How We Can Help You
The team at Hammack Law Firm treats our clients as if they were one of our friends or family members. We will do the same for you. Call Hammack Law Firm today at 864-326-3333 for a free consultation about how an Anderson uninsured car accident lawyer will fight for you.
Do not wait to call, as there may be statutes of limitations or other time restrictions governing your lawsuit.
Our Client Bill of Rights offers a 30-day unconditional satisfaction guarantee —no costs and no fees. We serve our Greenville clients in all areas of personal injury, including auto and motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, and boating accidents.
To get started with our Greenville personal injury law firm, please simply contact us online or call 864-326-3333 for a free consultation.