According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), about 119,000 truck collisions in the United States led to injuries in 2019, while over 5,000 resulted in fatalities. When large trucks are involved in vehicle accidents, the risk for property damage, severe injury, and death increases dramatically due to a large truck’s more significant weight.
If you or a loved one were victims of a semi-truck accident in Aiken, South Carolina, we want to get you back to your family and loved ones. An Aiken semi-truck accident lawyer from Hammack Law Firm can review your case and begin taking steps to move your case forward.
Truck Accident Victims May Receive Compensation for the Damages They Incurred
If a semi-truck hit your vehicle and caused you to suffer injuries, you may have grounds to demand compensation for more than just your medical expenses. This is because your injuries subsequently could have led to other losses. For example, if your injury limited your ability to walk or move your arm, you may have been unable to work or take care of yourself or your loved ones.
At Hammack Law Firm, we take the time to go over your damages so that we can pursue compensation that is accurate to the losses you’ve had to endure. We also factor future losses you might experience. If your semi-truck accident injuries are long-term or permanent, you do not want to run the risk of settling for low compensation.
What Type of Damages Can a Plaintiff Pursue in a Semi-Truck Accident Case?
Damages often get divided into two categories: economic and non-economic damages. In short, your economic damages relate to financial losses and debts, while your non-economic damages cover everything else, both physical and emotional losses.
Examples of economic damages include:
- Income loss, both current and future losses
- Reduced earning potential
- Property damage costs, including the cash value of your vehicle if it was totaled
- Domestic care services, such as for homecare or childcare
- Medical treatment expenses
- Other medical costs, such as for prescription medicines or medical equipment
Examples of non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering, which includes physical and emotional forms of pain
- Emotional distress, which includes depression, anxiety, and insomnia
- Psychological trauma, including diagnosed post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Diminished quality of life
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Scarring, including burn markings
Unlike economic damages, non-economic damages must have a financial value assigned to them in order for you to demand compensation for them. There are multiple ways to go about this, which we can discuss as we go over your damages. We might also suggest other damages not listed here once we better understand how the semi-truck crash affected your life.
What Happens If the Victim did not Survive the Large Truck Crash?
If the truck accident victim did not survive their injuries, a personal representative or a qualifying family member (often a spouse, child, or parent) may pursue compensation on their behalf.
Our legal team understands that grieving families can be too preoccupied to consider legal action, which is why we offer to manage our clients’ cases for them so that they have enough space to process their loss. We can help you pursue wrongful death damages, such as:
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional losses related to losing guidance, love, affection, and companionship from your loved one
- Loss of inheritance
- Loss of financial support, including benefits and pensions they provided to the family unit
For a free legal consultation with a semi-truck accidents lawyer serving Aiken, call 864-326-3333
Our Demi-Truck Accident Attorneys Are Ready to Build Your Case
We treat our clients like family, so we often go the extra mile to build their cases because we understand the stakes they’re living with. You can read our reviews or testimonials to gauge how our clients feel after we work with them. We have many clients commenting on how we kept them updated throughout their cases, were very caring in our customer service, and stayed true to their legal interests.
Our reviews and testimonials reflect our principles as legal attorneys—and more so, our mission to bring more safety to the roads. We handle truck accident cases to hold negligent truck drivers, companies, and related parties accountable. When you become our client, we immediately begin:
- Investigating your truck accident to identify who may be liable (e.g., the truck driver, their employer, or a third-party like a maintenance company)
- Collecting evidence to support your case, which includes contacting witnesses and requesting information from the trucking company (e.g., driver logs or black box data)
- Filing paperwork related to your case
- Handling communications from inquiring parties, such as the insurance company
- Scheduling court hearings or negotiation meeting dates
A semi-truck accident attorney in Aiken will present your case to a jury and advocate for your right to receive compensation based on how the other party’s negligence caused you to suffer damages. Should you want advice throughout your legal journey, we will explain your options and provide a compassionate ear to your concerns.
Aiken Semi-Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 864-326-3333
South Carolina Sets a Deadline for Plaintiffs to File Their Truck Accident Lawsuits
Per S.C. Ann. § 15-3-530, you generally have three years to file a personal injury lawsuit following your accident with a semi-truck, with the filing period beginning on the date of the accident. If you are filing a wrongful death action, the start of the filing period shifts to the date of the victim’s death, but you still generally have three years to submit your case.
Certain exceptions may apply to alter your case’s deadline, which we can inform you about should your case involve those factors. However, you want to take action as soon as possible to not miss the deadline, or you may jeopardize your ability to pursue compensation through the South Carolinian court system.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Contact Us to Learn How Our Semi-Truck Accident Lawyers in Aiken Can Help You
If you or a loved one was injured in an Aiken automobile collision involving a semi-truck, you might qualify for compensation through an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. A semi-truck accident attorney from Hammack Law Firm can manage your case.
Call (864) 326-3333 now to discuss your accident and learn about the legal options available to you.