Box trucks and big rigs have caused traffic snarls and fatal crashes along I-20 in Aiken County, S.C., in recent years, illustrating why it ranked 12th for deadly collisions and 11th for total collisions in South Carolina in 2019, per the South Carolina Traffic Collision Fact Book published that year. In March 2021, a woman was fatally wounded when a box truck rear-ended her after failing to stop safely behind her, WJBF Channel 6 reported.
Truck accidents are complex matters, but an Aiken truck accident lawyer with Hammack Law Firm will clarify the personal injury compensation process for you. We advocate for traffic safety and believe in holding those who break the law accountable. We will identify the at-fault party, prove their negligence, and take your case to trial. You can review your legal options during a free consultation today.
Negligence Entitles You to Compensation After an Accident
When we represent you, we prove the elements of negligence – duty, breach, cause, and damages. As we investigate your accident, we work to identify the correct at-fault party to file action against. Multiple parties can be liable in a truck accident, making these types of cases more complex than passenger car accidents. The driver who hit you and their employer may be two parties you could sue, but others who may bear responsibility in your accident include:
- The truck’s owner
- The truck’s manufacturer
- The manufacturer of mechanical parts that failed on the truck
- A repair shop that recently worked on the truck
- The workers responsible for loading a truck’s cargo
- A crew responsible for maintaining the roads where the accident occurred
- Other drivers involved in the accident
Proving Your Damages in Your Aiken, S.C., Truck Accident
Our Hammack Law Firm lawyer serving clients in Aiken will prove your recoverable damages after your truck accident, including:
- Past and future medical bills
- Past and future lost wages
- Property damage or loss
- Physical disability or disfigurement
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional distress
We will calculate all damages in your accident and establish your case’s value. This will be the amount we pursue to recover on your behalf.
Recovering Damages in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
If your loved one suffered fatal injuries from a truck accident in Aiken, please accept our sincere condolences. We are thinking of you and your family and are sorry for your loss. It would be an honor to represent you and help you seek the justice and compensation you deserve. We know that money can’t make up for losing your loved one. However, we will seek financial relief that can help you cover expenses, such as your loved one’s:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Final medical expenses and other outstanding debts
This compensation can also help you replace the decedent’s loss of income to the family household and compensate surviving family members for the pain and suffering of losing your loved one.
Your Evidence File Establishes the At-Fault Party’s Negligence
The evidence file we create for you is a comprehensive collection of documents, receipts, and records that prove the at-fault party’s liability. When we build your evidence file, we include your:
- Official crash report
- Accident scene photos
- Injury photos
- Surveillance video
We also include proof of any tickets or citations issued to the truck driver, your written statements, and the statements of any available witnesses. Our goal is to ensure you have a solid case because whether we reach a settlement or not, we prepare every case to go to trial.
Your Evidence File Proves the Value of Your Lawsuit
While your evidence file will include proof of negligence, it will also include items that prove the monetary value of your injuries and their related expenses. To ensure your evidence file is complete, we include the following forms of evidence:
- Medical records and bills
- Salary history records
- Vehicle damage reports
- Funeral expenses, if applicable
We will also include proof of additional expenses like in-home care, rehabilitation or therapy, assistive medical devices, and required medications. Our goal is to ensure no valid expense is inadvertently omitted from the valuation of your lawsuit and that your lawsuit is not undervalued or underpaid.
This also means we will send the trucking company a spoliation letter to keep evidence intact that we will need to prove your damages. This evidence can include:
- The truck’s service and maintenance records
- Company violation records
- Driver’s logbooks, work history, credentials
- The black box, known as the event data recorder (EDR)
- Video from the truck driver’s dashcam
Put Our Personal Injury Team to Work for You
When our team represents you after a truck accident, we start by identifying the negligence that caused the collision. Once negligence is clear, we help determine the at-fault party. Our mission is to build a personal relationship with every client we represent and make South Carolina safe. We will:
- Handle all insurance and legal forms and paperwork
- Handle all communications with the at-fault party’s representative
- Collect evidence that proves your right to compensation
- Ensure your lawsuit is filed within the statute of limitations
If you were injured in a collision with a truck or a family member was physically or fatally injured, we can help. While you concentrate on your physical recovery, our team concentrates on building, proving, and settling your personal injury case. If you do not win your case, we will not charge you any fees. Our goal is to obtain a favorable recovery on your behalf that gives you and your family the opportunity to start fresh.
S.C. Law Sets Deadlines for Filing Your Legal Action
S.C. Ann § 15-3-530 generally entitles you to three years to file a personal injury lawsuit. If a family member was fatally injured, the same statute applies to your right to file a wrongful death lawsuit. With sufficient notice, our team also makes sure your lawsuit is filed in time to comply with the statute of limitations.
We Treat Every Client Like Family
We do not offer cut-and-dried or cookie-cutter legal services after your accident. We treat every client as an individual and help them fight for the compensation they are entitled to receive. Our team members:
- Treat you like we treat our own friends and family members
- Fight for monetary recovery for your injuries and related expenses
- Bring a human touch to a challenging personal injury experience
When we say we treat you like family, we mean it. The legal service we provide comes with a welcoming, supportive, friendly touch. In fact, we make sure you get the personal attention of a small firm with the experience of a big one.
Hear from Our Previous Clients
We fight hard for every client we represent. Our previous clients attest to our commitment to a whole-client experience when they say:
- “Tracy, and the whole team at Hammack Law Firm, were understanding and compassionate through the whole process, and settled my case for more than a fair amount. I would just like to thank you all!” – Seth Powell
- “Previous insurance company litigation makes Mr. Hammack a very well-informed litigator when going against the insurance companies trying to minimize their loss. Be sure to contact Paul before contacting the insurance company, as they only care about their interests not the injured. Please note my 5-star recommendation.” – Maio Russell
- “Hammack Law Firm is absolutely one of the finest, professional group of people I have ever met. They are compassionate about what they do. Paul is very personable and reaches out to each and every one of his clients to keep them informed on their case! I give them a five-star rating!!” – Lauren Marvin
Your case deserves careful assessment and attention to detail. When you are ready to get support and encouragement throughout your legal fight, our team is ready to fight by your side.
Our Truck Accident Team Is on Your Side
If you or a loved one was injured in a truck accident in the Aiken area, a lawyer from our team can help you seek compensation for your injuries and related expenses from your truck accident. Contact one of our Hammack Law Firm team members today by calling (864) 326-3333.