If you were hurt or if you been injured or killed because of an accident caused by a reckless driver, you need a Greenville accident attorney to help you get full compensation for the damages you have suffered. These can include medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering.
According to the Insurance Information Institute, reckless driving behavior is responsible for approximately one-third of traffic accident fatalities in the United States. A reckless driver’s inability to control their temper or their callous disregard for traffic laws and others on the road can cause serious injuries to other motorists, and can result in the wrongful death of innocent victims.
Hammack Law Firm is here to help you. If you are the victim of a reckless driving accident in the Greenville area, or any other part of South Carolina, call us today to schedule a free case evaluation. We will do everything that is needed to get you through these difficult times and ensure that you can focus on your recovery and your family.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer for a Reckless Driving Accident?
When a truck driver chooses to ignore the rules of the road and operates their vehicle recklessly, they are putting themselves and others on the road at severe risk of injury or death. If you’ve been hurt in a crash caused by a reckless truck driver, you have the right to seek full and fair compensation for the harm you’ve suffered and expenses you’ve incurred.
Trying to pursue compensation on your own while also dealing with the challenges of treatment and recovery is a recipe for disaster. Accident victims often find themselves pressured by insurance company representatives who want to either deny or diminish their injury claim, or might feel overwhelmed by the process and either accept a lowball settlement offer or give up the fight entirely.
You need an attorney who has the depth of experience and knowledge to focus on all the details of your case, making sure that every aspect is expertly handled as they deal with the reckless driver, the insurance company, and the court. This will enable you to focus on the things that are most important, like getting better, getting back to work, and spending time with your family.
How Can Hammack Law Firm Help Me?
At Hammack Law Firm, we are committed to protecting the rights of our clients and making our Greenville community a safer place to live and work. We fight to hold those responsible for accidents caused by negligence accountable, and we hope that our victories send a message to those who fail to consider the safety of others. We fight because it is the right thing to do, for you, for your family, and for all of us who call Greenville home.
When Hammack Law Firm was founded, we made a conscious decision to keep things small. This gives us the focus and resources to pay close personal attention to each one of our clients so they get the best possible representation available.
We invite you to see how our approach is different from other firms in the Greenville area, where it can often seem like you are simply a case number instead of a person. This is an important distinction, because when a legal team is attentive to every detail of your individual case, they have a better understanding of the damages that you or a loved one have suffered. This can result in a higher settlement or compensation award for your case.
Our lawyers, Paul Hammack and Jamie Ackermann, have decades of litigation experience and are recognized by the best legal ranking services in the business. We are members of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, and are also ranked by Avvo, Lawyers.com, Justia, Nolo and Martindale-Hubbell.
These rankings are the result of hard work for and dedication to our clients, and we’re proud of the recognition we’ve received from our peers. What means even more to us is what our clients think of our work on their behalf, which is why we also encourage you to visit our results page to see what we’ve been able to accomplish for people just like you.
About Reckless Driving
Reckless or dangerous driving is any behavior that a driver takes that may endanger other people or property. The National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA) points to six different things that can result in reckless driving:
- Traffic Delays: Traffic delays can make anyone anxious, but traffic can lead drivers who may be more prone to reckless driving to make extreme and erratic decisions.
- Anonymity: Sometimes drivers exhibit unusual behaviors because they feel hidden and safe from observation when they are in their vehicle.
- Disregard for the Law: Some drivers simply don’t care or ignore the traffic laws that are designed to keep all drivers safe.
- Habitual or Clinical Behavior: Some people have behavioral issues that lend them to make poor decisions while driving.
- Disregard for Others: There are drivers who are narcissistic, leading them to not care about the impact of their decisions on others.
- Running Late: Tardiness is one of the most common reasons for speeding and driving erratically.
The most common types of reckless driving include:
- Weaving through traffic and across lanes
- Failing to yield to others and traffic signals
- Running stop signs or traffic signals
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Failure to slow down for roadway construction
- Failure to pull over for emergency vehicles
- Merging in an unsafe manner
- Driving too slowly, or purposely delaying the flow of traffic
- Passing in an unsafe manner
While this is not a complete list, these are the kinds of reckless driving decisions that can be most dangerous to other motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians who are sharing roadways with reckless drivers. If you or a loved one have experienced an accident with injuries or fatalities because of these or any other aggressive driving tactics, you need to contact an experienced Greenville car accident attorney for help right away.
Reckless Driving Injuries
Reckless driving accidents can lead to serious injuries or fatalities. The most common types of injuries caused by reckless driving include:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Cuts and lacerations
- Head and brain injuries, including Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs)
- Back and spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Internal organ injuries
- Loss of limbs (amputation)
- Scarring and disfigurement
In the most severe cases, truck accident victims might not survive the crash or their injuries afterward. If your loved one was killed in a truck crash caused by a reckless truck driver, you and other surviving family members could be eligible to file a wrongful death claim against the driver, the trucking company that hired them, or other liable party.
What Types of Compensation Am I Owed?
If you or a loved one have suffered injuries or death from being involved in a reckless driving accident, you are entitled to receive compensation for all of the damages you have suffered. While no results are guaranteed, reckless driving accident cases typically include compensation for:
- Medical treatment: a settlement or verdict in your case usually will cover the cost, or estimated cost, of your medical bills, including rehabilitation, physical therapy, prescriptions and future medical care.
- Lost wages: you may request compensation for the income you have and will lose if you are unable to work during your recovery. Also, if your injuries have left you permanently disabled, or if you are no longer able to do the kind of work you were doing before the accident, you may be eligible for compensation to cover your decreased earning capacity.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: If your injuries leave you unable to perform specific activities, enjoy hobbies, or exercise, you could seek compensation for the impact the injuries will have on your life.
- Pain and suffering: physical, mental, and emotional trauma are common after a reckless driving accident and during the long road to recovery. Your attorney will likely seek fair compensation for the emotional toll that the accident had and will have on your life.
- Wrongful death: if your loved one was killed in a reckless driving accident, then you can bring a wrongful death suit on their behalf to seek the maximum amount of compensation available.
At Hammack Law Firm, we recommend that you discuss your case with an experienced lawyer to better understand the types and amount of compensation you could expect from your case.
Call Hammack Law Firm Today for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one were hurt in an accident caused by a reckless truck driver, turn to a law firm with the right experience and resources necessary to handle your case. The Greenville truck accident lawyers at Hammack Law Firm are ready to stand up and fight for you. Call us today at (864) 326-3333 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss the details of your case.